Thursday, October 16, 2014

Let's Talk about ALL THE THINGS!

Lots of things on my mind to share today, so I'm just gonna get to it...

Marriage Momentum
Can you believe the awesomeness that is #MarriageMomentum?! Same sex marriage is becoming legal in so many places! Even in KANSAS! I mean, what!? It's so great! Missouri is at least recognizing same sex marriages performed in other states, but I'm shocked that Kansas beat us to fully granting them. Happily shocked. And jealous!

Blog Action Day
For the first time in I-don't-know-how-many years, I missed posting on Blog Action Day. But you can check out the bloggers who did write about inequality on the Blog Action Day site.

Young Feminist Leaders
It's fantastic seeing young women at the forefront of social change being represented in the media in such positive ways! Kudos to Emma Watson for her work with the United Nations and to Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai for her tireless activism!

It's On Us
FINALLY a campaign that addresses the source of rape and assault issues. FUCK YEAH! I'm stoked about this campaign and the way that dialogues about feminism are changing in our society. It's about damn time ^_^

Parents as Teachers
I'm loving this program! Henry just started it this semester. Not only do we get a monthly home visit, but we also get access to all kind of special free events (most recently the Zoomobile, and there's a pumpkin patch event tomorrow), special toys and books, play dates and more. It's such a great resource.

Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
Through Parents as Teachers, I discovered and enrolled Henry in the Imagination Library, which sends KC-area kids, ages 5 years old and below, a free book each month. Henry's first one just arrived earlier this week. He received "The Little Engine Who Could." He really likes it and I love seeing the pictures that I remember from when I was a child. (But the story is way more repetitive than I remember. I admit, I leave out quite a bit when I read it to him.)

Royals Going to the World Series
WAY TO GO ROYALS! This hasn't happened since I was like 3. Which is probably why I lost all interest in baseball... But I'm still glad they're winning for a change. 

Related posts:
Love and Civil Rights
Blog Action Day: Stop Forced Evictions in Kenya
Lawrence Lessig on the Problem with American Politics
2 Must-Read Posts on Steubenville

No comments: