Monday, January 6, 2014

What a Difference a Year Makes


I've been doing a lot of thinking, as is common around this time of year, about all the changes that have happened in 2013, and how differently I feel in January of 2014 than I felt in Jan of last year.

Back then, I was still drowning in the grief of my uncle's suicide, and incredibly anxious about Henry's feeding issues and "failure to thrive" growth problems. I was still feeling uneasy in the "mom" role, second guessing myself and often wishing I could have a day off from Henry more often than I like to admit.

Now, I've forgiven my uncle, have a diagnosis and clear sense of direction for Henry's condition, and I feel perfectly at ease spending every day with my little Henry - thanks to increased patience and a decision to focus on the positive. Don't get me wrong, being a mom is still the most challenging job of my adult life, but it's a challenge I find myself embracing more and more each day.

Henry has been such an incredible teacher for me. When I forgot how to smile and laugh, he showed me. When I felt that I wasn't doing anything BIG and IMPORTANT with my life, he showed me that it's the little things that carry the most significance in life. When I feel overwhelmed by frustration, he shows me that I have more patience than I ever suspected, just waiting to be put to use.

Sharing my life with Henry and Matt is such a blessing. I can't wait to see what this year brings!

Related posts:
Little Henry's Big Adventures
Henry Is a Little Person
Henry's Circus Party
365 Days with Henry: My Favorites So Far

2 comments:

SpiritPoet said...

May,

You continue to show us the Divine hand at work in everything!

Blessings,
Paul

Sherri Mack said...

Just BEAUTIFUL, May. You make my heart happy!!! =)=)=)