Saturday, January 25, 2014

Complexity, Culture & Consciousness - Live Webcast Tomorrow

I'm interested to listen in tomorrow to "Complexity, Culture & Consciousness," a panel discussion presented by Minds.com, which will feature my friend Michael Garfield along with other experts in their fields. According to the event's Facebook page, it will be a discussion of how complexity theory, cultural studies and the evolution of human consciousness intersect in our current reality.

"What we're talking about here is not simply entertainment, media, like games and books, movies and stuff, but the way that those narratives carry a subtext, a worldview, in which certain things are condoned and certain things are rejected." - Michael Garfield, from his self-published talk "Entertainment as Social Action."

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that these are ideas which fascinate me. I pay far more attention to subtext in the media than most people I know, and I'm always intrigued by what I find. I can't wait to hear what the panel of experts they've put together has to say about our society. Tune in to the broadcast by following this link. It will be airing live tomorrow (Sunday 1/26) from 8-10 PM Eastern time, 9-11 PM Central.

Related posts:
An Experiment in Art and Awareness by Michael Garfield
Michael Garfield: Glass Chrysanthemum
Michael Garfield: Writer, Painter, Songbird

No comments: