Monday, September 2, 2013

What We've Been Up To

Hey, everybody! I'm back :)

It was wonderful to take a break for a while. I hadn't realized how pushing myself to keep to the same blog schedule after Henry's birth was stressing me out so much! So I plan to post at least once a week from now on, but other than that, I'm not going to tie myself to a specific schedule. I hope that this will help me not burn out on blogging and also encourage me to write spontaneously whenever the mood strikes. Sound good?

So between now and the last time I posted a lot of stuff happened. I figured I'd catch you up through photos.

Henry was referred to the Ready, Set, Grow Clinic of Children's Mercy (since he still is nowhere near being on the normal growth chart), and from there was referred to a physical therapist to help him with his texture aversions and oral motor skills. The weird brush thing in his mouth that he's eating peanut butter off of in this picture is something the therapist gave him to help him learn to move his tongue around.

 Henry developed an interest in stacking and building (instead of just knocking my towers down)!

 Henry and I visited Shatto Dairy Farm on their Family Day, where he got to meet these 5 day old calves.

 On the 4th of July, Henry experienced sparklers for the first time.

Matt's 3 sisters came into town and we had a small memorial for their father in Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery. (He died in FL so he was cremated and shipped up for burial).

Henry experienced swings for the first time! He's been on a baby swing now too, but I forgot to get a picture of that.

 We took all of Henry's bottles away when he reached 15 months, which was very stressful for a week. Here he's drinking Pediasure (to help with weight gain) in bed (so he won't run away and play) while Daddy reads to him.

 We got Henry his very own wading pool and he loves splashing about in it :)

 My little sister came back home after another year of teaching in China, and she and Henry got reacquainted.

 Henry attended a birthday party and got his first temporary tattoo. He also had a blast playing with the balloons.

Henry started displaying incredible precision for his age and built some very impressive towers, though you can't tell since this picture was taken right after he knocked it down again.

 Henry has learned how to blow kisses, fist bump, and nod his head 'yes' and 'no'.

 I started watching my friend's son, William, one day a a week. He's half Henry's age, but just about the same size!

 Henry was referred to an endocrinologist who took a bunch of blood to try and figure out why Henry's remaining such a little guy. They suspect he may have Russell-Silver Syndrome, which is a form of dwarfism, but they're eliminating all the other possibilities first.

 Henry stole my Hello Kitty when he was playing in our room last week and now she's his best friend. He also has suddenly gained an affinity for his blankets.




2 comments:

Byron Funkhouser said...

May, I'm sorry to hear that Henry is having problems. He looks like a really sweet little guy.

Its a strange feeling for me to be reading about his Russell-Silver Syndrome, because I've just been diagnosed with Maurfin's Syndrome. Its seems that the genetic defect that makes me legally blind is not a separate thing, but the main indicator of a bigger picture.

I hope you & Matt had a good summer.

May said...

Byron, that's really interesting to hear; the Russell-Silver diagnosis would also go a long way to explain some of Henry's eating and digestion issues as well. Of course, we don't really know one way or the other yet, but it's nice to feel like there's an answer in sight, at least.

But despite all that, he's so strong and smart and sweet! It's a blessing to get to spend my days with him.

We've had a pretty great summer. Hope you did too :)