Friday, December 21, 2012

Comments on the Connecticut Shooting

Okay, I've put it off long enough. I'm even posting a day late, geez. I couldn't bring myself to talk about death when the Joker shooting happened, or in September when World Suicide Prevention Day rolled around. Thinking about it made me fall apart emotionally because of the grief, anger, sadness and pain I've been experiencing since my Grandpa died suddenly the day after my uncle committed suicide.

But this most recent killing in Connecticut. I feel like I have to say something. I keep thinking that I, as someone who's been grieving nearly all year, must surely have some sort of perspective to offer.... Yet what can I say?

That anger and tears are natural and that sometimes you just have to cry and rage?

That feeling helpless and miserable is natural in the face of circumstances one can't change?

That once the feelings have passed through you, you'll still have to get up and face the day?

That you can still choose to make each day brighter for those whose lives you touch?

That we're all in this together?

I don't know. All I know is, that at the end of the day, we're all responsible for our own actions. Everything else we just have to accept and learn from or let fester and let it turn us bitter.

I am grateful now, more than ever, for each precious moment I spend with Matt and Henry.

My love goes out to all those affected by the killings.

Related posts:
Arizona Shooting Tragic, But Telling
May Deals With Death
The House That Grandpa Built

3 comments:

Byron said...

The solution is to disarm. My right to life trumps your right to bear arms. The Second Amendment is antiquated. It needs to be repealed. The alternative is to accept that our country is uncivilized, mass shootings is now & forever a fact of life, & that we don't have the will to stop the killings. Prove that we are a nation of civilized adults - disarm!

dixiebelle said...

I read a bit from Morgan Freeman who felt that if we as a society would quit glorifying the shooters and focus instead on the victims and let the ones who commit such atrocities go down in oblivious history with not so much as a mere mention of their name then perhaps they wouldn't be so willing to leave this world in such a heartbreaking way.

It has been hard trying to understand how anyone can be so cruel and yet it is around us all the time. My philosophy is that it will all sort itself out in the end. In the meantime, unfortunately, we have to deal with the media and their love of sensationalized reporting of the "facts" This is where civilized society lives at this point in time......the civilized masses want all the ugliness they can bear from their televisions. That's why we don't have tv in our home anymore. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Treat every moment as a treasured gift, because it is!

Byron said...

Merry Christmas to May, Matt & Henry.