Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Show and Tell: My Book House

Don't mind me posting a day late..... (acting nonchalant)....

When my mother was a little girl, her parents bought a collection of books called "My Book House." Each book in the series is a collection of stories made for a specific age range in mind, so the stories grow more complex from one volume to the other.



When I was growing up, this collection was on the bookshelves in the family room along with many other children's books, various copies of classic literature, and lots of old sci fi and fantasy novels. As far as I can remember, I was the only one of us 6 kids who kept coming back to the "My Book House" collection.




I would read and re-read the stories, which were a mixture of fairy and folk stories from around the world, simplified or shortened classic stories (like Victorian novels) or plays (like Shakespeare's), nursery rhymes, and poetry. The illustrations fascinated me as well and it's this series of books that most heavily influenced me as a writer and artist. I simply adore them.




My mom gave me the books for a birthday present a couple years ago, and now I've been reading from them to Henry. Mostly just from the first book, which is all just nursery rhymes and poems. I love having this to share with him. I hope he loves them as much as I do.



What was your favorite book(s) as a child?

Related posts:
2 Novel Approaches to Fairy Tales
The House that Grandpa Built
Photo Essay: May's Minutia

 

3 comments:

Superdave said...

Ok now I am jealous of you.

Boys Life

Average Jane said...

What a wonderful treasure to have kept!

I still have all of my L. Frank Baum "Oz" books and all of my Nancy Drew books.

May said...

Superdave - Thanks??
By the way, I got my painting back from the gallery. Email me about it if you're still interested and I'll cut you a deal (reddvenus AT gmail.com)

Average Jane - I LOVED the Oz books when I was a kid! I totally should reread them.