Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Our Lady of Perpetual Beginnings at the Slap-N-Tickle

I've been planning this performance since August, and in preparation for it I asked my friend Nicole to pose as Mary for a photoshoot with Henry. We went to Unity Village to take pictures and two of them ended up on the postcard-sized take-away I made to give out with the name of the performance and some other info.

I asked Nicole to pose because she's pregnant and loads of Mary images show her as pregnant. Plus, from my experience with the 365 Days with Henry project, I know how hard it is to take pictures of us both with the timer because of how quickly he'll change expression. Having her participate was a lot of fun.

Between then and last Friday I somehow lost the headpiece I was planning to use. (My theory is, the cats ran off it with it since they love feathers). So instead I used another headpiece I happened to have. Still hoping I find the other one at some point tho... Henry was asleep when we got there, but he woke up to smile at everybody.





Henry had a blast being admired and flirting with all the people. He behaved just perfectly and it was fun to be art with him. According to my spies, many people in and outside of the gallery were talking about us so I feel successful. I think it would be fun to do this again sometime.

There was lots of other neat stuff (as always) to see at the Slap-N-Tickle that night: paintings, face masks, and even a shadow play outside! Plus, I got to see one of my favorite local artists, who I originally met there a couple years ago.








I chose to name this performance "Our Lady of Perpetual Beginnings" because I came up with it as part of my grieving/healing/growing process after my uncle committed suicide earlier this year. I want people to believe they can try again tomorrow no matter how horrible today may feel.
Thanks to all my friends who came out to support us! It was lovely to see you :)

Related posts:
Event Pics: Kiosk Gallery / Art Closet Studios Third Friday
Swarm: A Collaborative Performance (Event Pics+Video)
Starry Night (Performance Pics)
What the World Needs Now Is Love (Performance Pics)
My 10 Year Performance Art Itch

No comments: