Thursday, May 10, 2012

Henry Is 1 Month Old


Henry is 1 month old today. It's amazing how time has passed so quickly (except during his hour-long feeding sessions).

Henry has, of course, challenged my expectations of parenthood. He DID NOT want to breastfeed when he got home from the hospital, and I eventually gave up and went with formula. Trying to feed him, pump my breasts, AND get anything else done was basically impossible. And my breastmilk dried up within days of him coming home, so the Universe seemed conspiring against breastfeeding. I had planned to exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months, but oh well... It's easier to share the responsibilities of feeding with Matt this way which is nice.


Especially since it's exhausting taking care of a baby. Henry seems to have a knack for waking up all fussy and hungry mere moments before I try to crawl into bed for a nap. I LUST after a solid 8 hours of sleep like a teenage boy for a friend's hot mom.... or something. I am constantly tired but I've also been stubborn about doing stuff outside of the house despite my tiredness, like the chalk walk for instance. I don't want to become secluded in my apartment just because I'm a parent. I'm grateful for the friends and family who are helping out with Henry, allowing me to have some time to myself. I enjoy him even more after I've been away from him for a little bit and get to come home and fall in love with him all over again.

I'm glad I did so much babysitting as a teenager. I'm very comfortable handling babies and I can change a diaper crazy quick. If only I had endless endurance and patience, this whole parenting thing would be a breeze. ;)

Related posts:
Henry's Homecoming
May Gives Birth
Henry James Evans-Barchers Is Born!

3 comments:

Byron said...

One day, when you've given up all hope, you will awaken in the morning & realize that you have slept all night, because the baby did, too!!

He's beautiful, May.

judyette said...

Happy Mother's Day May!!

Superdave said...

Well I wasn't breastfed either in fact guess I started my hate for milk at a very very young age. Now I am 58 and still hate it.

Babies are people as well and welp they have likes and dislikes from minute one of life.

But your going to be a great mom May and will adapt and understand how your son as all the rest of us is just trying to figure this all out but for sure appears to know when he does not like something.

Glad to hear all is going ok and quicker than you think is possible he will be sleeping all night.