Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Concert Review: Florence + The Machine

I meant to post this yesterday, but yesterday wasn't my day so I let myself be late on this... Tho I kind of doubt anyone is really paying close attention to my posting schedule. Anyhoo... on with the show!



My fabulous friend Darcy treated me to the Night the Buzz Stole Xmas Florence + The Machine show at the lovely Midland. We arrived just in time to see the second opener, a band from Ireland called Two Door Cinema Club.


I'd never heard of them before this show, but I will definitely be on the lookout for them in the future. I love their sound. It's infectious, danceable and reminds me of OK Go. I enjoyed their set a lot.

Here's a taste of what they have to offer:

(Click here for embedded video)

After Two Door Cinema Club, the curtain went down and the anticipation became palpable. Darcy & I were in the back part of the section closest to the stage, which rapidly filled with more and more people. I was surprised by the age range of Florence fans (from teens to middle aged folks) and even more surprised later on how many of the guys weren't just there to be with their girlfriends. They were into it.

When Florence + The Machine came on, the reek of weed & the body heat made me feel swoon-y (being pregnant & dehydrated making me extra sensitive to both) so I listened to three of the first four songs while sitting on the little ledge that was the next stage of the floor up from us.


Then we moved back, which was great because we got a better view of Florence, who was wearing a gorgeous red dress. Apparently all of the tallest people were on the lowest level cause we had a crap view there (of course, made worse when you're sitting down!).


I've enjoyed listening to Florence + The Machine while hanging out with friends, but never really listened to it by myself, because there was something about the quality of her voice that I found a bit stressful to her ears. I now know that that quality is completely due to the recording process, because in person, her voice was FREAKING INCREDIBLE! It blew my mind how much better she sounded. I definitely didn't fully appreciated her talent before. Florence kept up her adorable cheeriness despite the microphones giving her a hard time - so much so that she had to re-start one of her songs.

The band and the back-up singers were also incredible performers. The entire hour and a half or so that they performed was an absolute delight to the ears. One of the songs I particularly enjoyed was "Shake It Out":



If/when they come back to town, I highly recommend you buy a ticket.

Related posts:

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Byron said...

Well, I noticed that you were late ...

May said...

There you go, proving me wrong! :)