Thursday, September 29, 2011

Seen Around Midtown: Deconstructed School (Before/After)

I've tried but failed to find any information about the empty school building that once stood at the corner of Pennsylvania and 39th Terrace. I walked past it often, and stopped to photograph it once. Since then, the building has been razed to the ground (they just made it that far today) and while I didn't get pictures of that, I did get some the other day when they were still tearing it down. Enjoy these before and after pics... (Click on any pic to see it larger).


Before:











After:












Related posts:

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

David said...

I love a good KC mystery. It took me a while, but I was able to piece it together. The school was the elementary school for "Our Lady of Good Counsel." It was built in the first half of the 20the century, but has been dormant for at least 8 years. The property is still owned by the Catholic Church.

Prior to this, the land was the home of Col A G Boone. Grandson of Daniel and operator of the store where Kelly's now is.

May said...

Awesome! I wondered why it had crosses on it. Not a typical thing at most schools :)

Thanks for solving the mystery for me!

Tony said...

Thank you for posting these photos May. I didn't know the building would be destroyed so quickly.

My mom attended the school back when it was Our Lady Of Good Counsel and in the 70s and 80s it was a progressive school called "Operation Discovery" and that's where little TKC attended for a few years.

Seriously, great job on posting these images. THANK YOU!!!

May said...

Tony - It's hard to imagine you as a kid, but now I want to see pictures. Hehe :) Glad you enjoyed the post!

David said...

No problem. We should start a KC mystery solvers club. You can be Daphne