Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Event Pics: SlutWalk / Chalk Drawing Demo

My weekend was packed with interestingness. Saturday was the Kansas City SlutWalk. If you haven't heard about SlutWalks, they were started in response to a a police officer practicing victim-blaming in Toronto.


Despite the heavy-ish rain early in the afternoon, there was still a significant turnout, plus lots of honking in support from passing cars. Here's some pics:





My friend Kate wasn't content with just a sign...
she made it into a performance piece!





After the walk, we gathered in Southmoreland Park to dance & hear speeches.




It was awesome to see all the younger feminists out in force. Gives me hope for the future. :)

The other interesting thing I did this weekend was to do a chalk drawing demo with my friend Isidoro. We were part of a group of artists who take part in the Kansas City Chalk & Walk Festival. Restaurants in the Crossroads District asked us to draw on Sunday while the crowds were out for the Kauffman Performing Arts Center's Open House. It rained so much that day, I thought I wouldn't be able to get my drawing done. But the skies cleared up around 1:30 PM so we got to work.

My lovely assistant!







This is the closest I have to a picture of the finished drawing.
I forgot to take a pic once Isidoro had finished the flames
!

I was drawing in front of the as-yet-unopened Snow & Co.


Snow & Co. is an artisan frozen cocktail bar that will be opening by October's First Friday. Jerry, one of the owners (pictured below), was taking care of us that day, and from the way he described their cocktails, they are going to have an incredibly unique & delicious set of products.


You should check them out on Facebook, where they're currently getting help naming their drinks.

Hope you had a fun weekend!

Related posts:


Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

No comments: