Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Style Inspiration: "The Pirate" and Recyclable Fashion

Image via JGDB

Went with my friend Isidoro to the downtown branch of the KC Public Library last night to see The Pirate, a Judy Garland/Gene Kelly musical.

Image via DVD Beaver

I think I've mentioned before that some of my biggest style inspirations are old movies, and the costuming on The Pirate was certainly interesting!

Image via DVD Beaver

I loved all the headgear worn by the townsfolk, the ladies especially.

Image via IMDB

Judy Garland wore an array of fabulous hats and veils, while most of the other women wore fantastically arranged head scarfs.

It inspired me to wear a head scarf of my own today, in a way I've never worn one before. But this definitely won't be my last time doing so!

Day 346 (today) of my 365 self-portrait project
(P.S. I made the necklace I'm wearing)

It's so effortless and fun to have the end of it just gently brushing my shoulder as I turn my head.

Another place I've found some wonderful and unusual fashion inspiration recently is the Advanced Style blog, created by photographer Ari Seth Cohen, who, according to his bio, "[roams] the streets of New York looking for the most stylish and creative older folks." He posts images, videos and advice from geriatric fashionistas, and I have found it utterly fascinating!


For instance, today I watched two videos about a thrifter/jewelry-maker, Debra Rapoport, who likes "recyclable fashion." She's giving a class at the New York Museum of Arts and Design about making handbags soon, and if her jewelry is any indication, she's got some amazing tricks up her sleeves!


(Click here to see embedded video)

You can watch the other video, in which she's thrift store shopping, at Advanced Style.

I like how Debra makes huge, sculptural necklaces, and might just make one or two myself now that she's got me thinking of it... I did make a big necklace recently-ish based on an online tutorial with a galaxy image on it that I totally adore.

Day 272
Day 272 of my 365 self-portrait project

And before that I made a large necklace that was almost wreath-like...


So it's probably time for me to make something new and interesting to wear round my neck. Don't you think?

Related posts:

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

No comments: