Thursday, June 2, 2011

Experience Unconditional Love

So I left off Tuesday with the question I asked myself: "What is THE MOST inspiring, audacious, original, transformative experience I can create for people?"

I meditated on this question for weeks and weeks, getting first one idea, then another, but finally they sort of merged/mutated into the experience I plan to create tomorrow. Which is, simply stated, to dedicate one minute of unconditional love to each person who sits down at my table.

My invitation

I figure the most radical thing one can do in this society is to choose to love anyone, friend or stranger, with a love not reliant on anything other than our shared human experience. I feel there is a deep need for people to see and experience how love can transcend anything physical (though I want to hold hands to create a sense of trust and intimacy).

Sketch of how I'm planning to draw on my face

I'm going to be dressed up with a wig & crown of flowers and face colored with pastels. My friend Isidoro is going to assist me in directing people so that I don't have to speak at any point during the performance.
Instructional signage

I hope this is as effective and moving as I imagine/hope it to be, and I hope that if you're in the Crossroads near Grinders and the Scarlett Garnet Gallery you'll look for my table and sit down for a minute. If not, I plan to take video of some of it to post here Tuesday.

Wish me luck!

If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise
From the bottom of the sea

But first, are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have
-Jimi Hendrix

Related posts:
My 10 Year Performance Art Itch
Meditation Physically Changes the Mind
All You Need is Love

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Darcy said...

What timeframe will you be there?

May said...

I'm going to start setting up at 6:30 and I'll be there until I lose the light

Freebox said...

This is super cool May. I hope to be able to stop by and soak in some of your awesomeness. I'll be tuning in from afar otherwise!