Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

I've had this song running through my head for the past few days:

(Click here to see embedded video)

If you've read for a while, you already know I'm in love with alternative transportation. I have an extra special love for bicycles, because while walking is fun and grounding, cycling is faster, and therefore more fun.

So when I bitched about not having a bike on Twitter the other day, I was totally ecstatic to get a tweet back from @MySpyderWeb offering me an old bike of hers.


She dropped it off Saturday and I was super excited to ride it. Sunday Matt and I had dinner with a friend and we had our first bike ride together as a couple on the way there. It was so much fun! I know I'm a romantic dork and all, but I was squeeing inside so loudly the entire way.

Monday was also awesome because it took just 5 minutes to zip over to Penn Valley, where I was early enough to set up a library orientation for my student with a cute curly-haired librarian named Mike. (My student had never used a library before).

On the way home, I set up my camera on a retaining wall and snapped a shot for my 365 self-portrait project, then zipped home.


Being out in the cold feels way less annoying when I don't have to be in it quite as long as I did before! Plus, this has seriously opened up an entirely new level of urban adventures for me and Matt (who already had a bike). Now we can cycle around town together, we will be able to visit my lil bro on the Plaza so much easier, and I feel a lot safer being out by myself in the city, which is still occasionally intimidating, now that I can make a speedier get-away!

I was looking forward to riding my bike to work today, but it's rainy so it would just get me all muddy. It's too bad because... sing it with me: I want to ride my bicycle!!!

Thanks @MySpyderWeb for making this all possible! :)

Related posts:
How I Fell In Love with Alternative Transportation
"My Life Is More Precious Than Your Car"

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Helby said...

Lucky! I really want to get a bike, but we don't have a place to store it. We've taken to walking when we can now... especially now that gas is almost $4/gal!

Spyder said...

So glad I had it to give!

thefreebox said...

I love this song too May! It is wonderful to have a bike to ride...I love that there are people out there - like Spyder - generously sharing what they no longer need! I "danced" to the same song on day 119 of the Freebox project.