Thursday, February 17, 2011

2 Steampunk Web Comics You Should Read

When I said I had been remiss in keeping you up-to-date about the fabulous web comics I've been reading, I meant it, my darlings! Today I'm going to tell you about the fun steampunk-y comics I like, and next time you'll find out about a fun sexy NSFW comic my friend recently introduced me to.

For now, on to the steamy goodness!

Monster Commute
Daniel Davis, author and artist of Monster Commute created a comic about a never-ending commute in a world of monsters. How can you not love that?


At first, the story is fairly simple, Beastio and Chad Worth, the two main characters, drive about snarkily in their SteamCrow auto, stopping for food now and then and trying, unsuccessfully, to stay out of trouble. But things get more complicated when The Authority (the totalitarian "government" headed by an insane Lincolnstien and enforced by crowbots) puts a bounty on our friends' heads, and they have to run underground to get away.


The further our heroes adventure, the more we learn about the crazy world they live in, and the more friends & enemies they meet along the way!

This has been such a fun read. Y'all just have to get into it.

Girl Genius

Girl Genius is created by a husband and wife (?)* team, Phil and Kaja Foglio. Set in a world of its own, part Victorian-era inspired, part Medieval-seeming, with lots and lots and lots of crazy science including robots of various sizes and types, airships, reanimated corpses and much, much more. In this world, "sparks" are science geniuses who are gathered by those in power to spend their entire lives making new discoveries and inventing things.


Agatha is a young woman working for a scientist, but never able to make things on her own... until the scientist she works for gets in trouble with the ruling Count and Agatha is taken on board his flying castle. The same day a locket she was given is stolen, and suddenly she starts being able to build things...


Eventually, Agatha discovers that her true identity has been secret for many years to protect her, but when she finds out, she wants to claim her inheritance as ruler of the land! All she has to do to prove herself is take over a crazed, self-aware castle that her ancestors built to destroy all visitors.


I'm not a huge fan of the art style in this comic, but the story has been one hell of a ride! It's definitely worth reading from the start.


*Their site isn't very user-friendly for anything other than reading the comic, so I'm not sure if that's their relationship, but my impression is that they're a married couple.

Related posts:
2 Fantasy-Filled Web Comics
Sweet Tooth (Comic)
Steampunk Magazine Cranks My Cogs

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Kris the Educated Vagabond said...

I just started reading Monster Commute. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm always looking for something new to add to my webcomic addiction.