Monday, January 17, 2011

Sewing for a Steampunk Soiree

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! For a great meditation on the man and his legacy, you should visit What's race got to do with it? and read her post for today. It's a good one.

Meanwhile, I've got a couple of sewing projects to share with you. Both were made with my friend Esther's steampunk-themed birthday party in mind, which was this past weekend - and a total blast. Granted, my outfit was more punk than steam, but whatevs...

I started out with this dress, which is too snug in the hips...


...and this skirt, which had unpleasantly tight, twisted elastic in the waist.


I removed the bottom of the dress,


then removed the elastic from the skirt by cutting into the waistband.

Frederick holding the elastic for me.

Next I pinned the skirt waist to the dress waist, sewed it together and that was that! (You have to wait til the end of the post to see it tho...)

A few days later, I decided to make a flask-holding garter (like I saw on Etsy a while ago) to wear, so I took this shirt...


and cut out the few gathered sections in the front and back.


I sewed those together...

...and then used the elastic from the skirt to finish off the garter section.


I cut off another section of the shirt, this time with button holes in it, and pinned it around the flask to make a little pocket.


I sewed that together, then sewed it in place on the garter.



I prettied up the flask pocket with some ribbon and I was done!


For the party, I added a vest, goggles, gloves and s'me other accessories:

Day 168 of my 365 Self-Portrait project.


Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Princesstefer said...

flask holder, yes! great idea, now I need to make one. lol

May said...

It was a pretty easy project :)