Monday, January 3, 2011

Looking Forward, Looking Back

I'm so happy it's not 2010 anymore!! It was a rough year for me. 8 days into it, I was laid off from my job of two and a half years, which really bummed me out. Then, I went through several painful "break-ups" with friends throughout the year, had to mourn to dead cats, and generally felt directionless, which, for a person who LOVES nothing more than working diligently towards a goal & then accomplishing it, was an emotional whirlwind. However, I certainly learned a lot about myself through what happened.

And I finally feel like I know what I want to do "when I grow up." I'm gonna go back to school for a Digital Desktop Publishing certificate from the KC Art Institute and work on building up a freelance writing/marketing career. That way, I can be my own boss and set my own schedule and I won't have to end or too drastically change my career in the future after I squeeze out a baby & need time to take care of it.

Another unintended benefit of the unemployment was that with all my free time this year I had a really good chance to develop my creativity through several different projects, which helped me appreciate the process of things instead of being so hung up on results. That's something I really needed to help reduce my impatience with the Universe and the way it operates!

Happy 2011, dear friends and readers! I hope it's a great one for ya!

Related posts:
Happy New Year!
Year In Review
New Year's Resolutions

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Joe Pontillo said...

I'm sorry to hear your 2010 wasn't all that good. I want to send out a bit of gratitude for my 2010. At the beginning of the year, I had been unemployed for 8 months, and had wrapped up an unpaid internship that was looking to have been fruitless. As the year I went on, I returned to interning, which eventually (finally!) turned into one of my coolest jobs yet, and brought me seemingly closer than ever before to my dream job. It also got me into Comic Con for free, and a unique trip to the Skywalker Ranch.

My successes in 2010 were modest, to be sure. But after quite a few years of heading in the not-quite-right direction, I feel like 2010 finally put me on the career path I'd intended to be on from the beginning. I'm extremely grateful for 2010, and have every reason to be optimistic about 2011 continuing in that direction.

Best wishes to you, me and everyone in 2011!