Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Volunteering at Literacy KC

You'll understand why I used this photo by the end of the post

I think I might've mentioned that I started volunteering for Literacy KC, but I didn't know into any detail. The organization is a local non-profit that trains tutors to teach phonics, reading and comprehension adults who are illiterate and functionally illiterate. Since I LOVE reading and it is such a huge part of my life, I wanted to help give this gift to someone else.

I started training in November and started tutoring my student, who I'll call Tony, this month. He is 29, like me, and wants to get his GED and HVAC certification, but is currently at an approximately 5th grade reading level. He is excited to learn, and I am enjoying getting to know him.

Due to scheduling conflicts and what not, we haven't gotten to spend much time together - not as much as I would have liked. We're supposed to spend 3 hours a week, broken into two hour-and-a-half sessions together, but have only had one full session after the first introductory one. But in that time he learned the definition of verbs and nouns and how to pick them out in a sentence, which was so exciting to see! It is amazing being able to help someone and have them to so completely happy and grateful to learn.

Everyone I've met at Literacy KC has been so positive and caring, it's been a real heart-warming experience. And today, they were giving away fabulous little starter plants (which I'm holding in the photo at the top of the post) as a "Thank you" to their tutor volunteers. Love it!! I've wanted a jade plant for a long time now :)

I haven't done any in-depth volunteering like this in years and it feels really good to be giving back again!

Related posts:
Cat House at the Friends of Parkville Animal Shelter
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

No comments: