Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Holidays!


I've really been in the Christmas spirit this year, thinking about how all different holidays & traditions of December all focus on light in the darkest part of the year. Christmas lights on the tree at home, scattered throughout every neighborhood, and outlining the Plaza were always my favorite part of the season as a girl.

That and the Christmas music we sang at church. I LOVED and still enjoy the sound of Christmas carols and of Handel's Messiah. The music is beautiful and I found the story of Mary's pregnancy and birthing process incredibly fascinating. Plus, the story has angels in it. Angels were right up there with fairies at being powerful and beautiful as I imagined them then. My favorite Christmas songs were the ones about the angels singing: "Angels We Have Heard On High," "Angels from the Realms of Glory," "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," and "The First Noel." What the Baptists called "secular music" doesn't compare in the Christmas song selection at all. It's too bad.

Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy the holiday with friends and family or, at least, enjoy having a few days off work.

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Byron said...

Merry Christmas to May & Matt.

May said...

Thanks!

thefreebox said...

Merry Christmas May, I love to sing too!!