Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Freelancing for Suite 101

So my New Year's Resolution's gonna be to get some freelance jobs going and in that spirit I've started writing for Suite 101. My first article "DREAM Act Voted Down: A Failure of Political Vision" was published yesterday. I'll probably link to a few articles now and then, but I don't want it to take over my blog. So if you'd like to keep track of what I'm doing for Suite 101 (my goal is to write an article a week) you can subscribe to my Suite 101 RSS feed.

Today, though, I am going to let it take over my blog, so here's an excerpt:

In Just Like Us: The True Story of Four Mexican Girls Coming of Age in America, Helen Thorpe tells of four 18-year-old BFFs in Colorado, two of whom are illegal and two are not. Suddenly, after sharing a lifetime of memories, these women find themselves split apart by forces outside their control. Two will have a chance to further their education and follow their dreams, and two will not.

Published by Scribner in 2009, Just Like Us remains poignantly relevant today as President Obama’s DREAM Act, which would have provided legal status to illegal immigrants brought to America as children if they joined the military or enrolled in college, was shot down by the Senate. According to the December 18, 2010 Associate Press/MSNBC article, “Obama: DREAM act vote ‘incredibly disappointing,’” critics of the Act “called the measure a back-door grant of amnesty that would encourage more illegal immigration.”

To read the rest, clicky-click.

Related posts:
NaNoWriMo Wrap-Up & More
Guess Who's Getting Published?
National Novel Writing Month

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Byron said...

I support the Dream Act.