Monday, November 1, 2010

National Novel Writing Month

I started a massive undertaking today, along with many other writers, to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. This is National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) and the twelfth year that writers have done this. I was intrigued last year when I heard about it, but didn't feel up to the challenge. But this year, having undertaken and enjoyed the challenge of the 365 Self-Portrait project, I decided this was just the thing to help me kick-start my fiction writing into high gear.

Cause, I've been writing some fiction, but not very often. I've been working on what I can only describe as an alternate-reality secular convent story. It's just something I came up with and have been sporadically adding onto. Before that I started an alternate history science fiction story, but I let myself get to nervous about coming up with that story and psyched myself out of writing on it. So I could use a kick in the pants when it comes to my writing.

I've been journaling a lot more, which is said to help with writer's block, so I was feeling really in a good space for this project. Then I found out last night that my little brother Harry is going to be staying with me for the month of November, and I got a bit concerned. Harry is the family member I get along best with, but we keep wildly different schedules, he's kind of a slob which drives me nuts, and for the time being, at least, he's brought his two cats along. So there are currently 6 cats in my apartment. My cats have already been stressed out over the stray cats chillin on our porch & the new kitten, so I was worried they might get even more freaked out and be more demanding of my time and attention than they already are.

But, happily, so far it's been ok. His cats are in our bedroom (which we gave him for the time being since it's the only room we can really shut off entirely) and my cats haven't really seemed to notice. They only demanded the normal amount of attention this morning when I woke up, prayed, journaled, and sat down to start writing.

I'd been inspired by this great video to write about a bike-loving protagonist, which was really the only idea I had. So I was going to start with a girl riding her bike as a kid and then flip to her riding her bike as an adult. And I did! I started with that, placed her in Seattle, took her to my favorite coffee shop there & introduced a love interest. So far I've written 1,761 words, and I didn't even break a sweat.

So during this month, forgive me if I lapse in posting, because I may end up being distracted from the blog for the time being.

Related posts:
365 Self-Portrait Project
Wordless Wednesday: 39 Self-Portraits
How I Fell In Love with Alternative Transportation


Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

emawkc said...

"So there are currently 6 cats in my apartment."

My eyes are watering, nose itching and throat seizing just reading about this.

Kris the Vagabond said...

I'm so jealous you are doing NaNoWriMo. Back in college, a couple friends and I actually did a countdown night to NaNoWriMo. We counted down to midnight when it was officially November and started writing like madwomen, taking breaks to discuss ideas and drink coffee with Baileys Irish Cream.

Sigh! Ah for the days of freeflowing creativity and the time to indulge in it!

kittybomber said...

Hmm.. Stumbled across the blog looking for stuff on Black Milk and found another Nano writer! Yay! I have a lot of catching up to do.

If you ever want a buddy look me up, my user name is Lovetofeel.

May said...

Kittybomber - Oh goody! I'd love to have a buddy. I'm looking you up now!