Monday, October 25, 2010

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Wearing my "Think Pink" necklace I made earlier this month

Matt and I walked in the 2nd Annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk for the American Cancer Society this Saturday with my friend @darcybl and a couple other friends, which composed the "Create Your Own Reality" Team.

Team Create Your Own Reality! (except for me)

My tweets
about it ran thusly (read bottom to top):
Matt made the Glee comment during the opening speeches.
Amusingly enough, the YMCA team performed "YMCA"
at the end of the walk, and that was kinda like Glee.

You'll notice I was under the delusion we were taking a 5 MILE walk instead of a 5 KILOMETER walk (which was just over 3 miles) up to when we made it to the 3 mile mark and suddenly the finish line was in sight. Doy!

The line of participants was soooo long, you could see the other walkers
behind and in front of you most of the time.

It was really funny to me that everyone was wearing either pink, black/gray or white. It was like we'd all called one another to discuss what to wear the night before or something :)

Excitement!

We had a fun time walking all around Liberty Memorial, Crown Center, Penn Valley Park & back to the Memorial in the lovely autumn weather.

Stopping for a photo op.
(
Right after this is when Elizabeth caught up to us.)

I had wanted to bring my pink parasol but with the cloudy skies when I left in the AM, I was worried it would rain, so I brought my yellow one, which is the only one I have made out of umbrella material instead of paper. Turns out that was perfect because my older sis, Elizabeth, was also walking (unknown to me) that day and she found us because of my parasol (which she purchased for me in Chicago's Chinatown)! So we got to cross the finish line together, and that was pretty awesome.

With Elizabeth & my parasol @ the finish line!

I was happy that my fund-raising efforts raised $75 (THANK YOU to all who contributed!) and our total efforts, as you saw in the tweets was about $200,000! Hooray!

Related posts:
Breast Cancer Awareness Art Festival
October Is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

thefreebox said...

That's awesome May. Love the idea of people breaking out into song and dance!