Friday, October 29, 2010

Evil Dead: The Musical

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when my brother Curtis invited me to go see Evil Dead: The Musical with him, cause I've never seen the movie version. I was also in a downcast mood, mourning the death of one of the kitties we'd been taking care of, and didn't bother actually getting dressed, but went in the yoga pants, t-shirt and sweater I'd been slouching around in all day.

Turns out none of that impacted my enjoyment of this musical in the slightest. It started out silly and hilarious and stayed that way the entire time. I cannot remember ever going to a staged production and laughing as much as I did. I swear, we were belly laughing at LEAST every ten minutes.

Here's a brief run-down from the folks who put on the show:

(Click here to see embedded video)

The first few rows (where I didn't sit) were the "splatter zone" where tons of fake blood was shot over the people sitting there, both by hand-held devices the actors held and by blood fountains that shot out from the stage itself.

Some extra bits of silliness came from one of the actors sulkily going off to read a book that just happened to be Bruce Campbell's autobiography, and then later one of the actresses kept ripping off pieces of her tear-away costume in a totally ridiculous fashion - even more ridiculous than Kirk's shirt-ripping action in old Star Trek episodes.

You still have time to go and see this, if you haven't yet! It runs through Nov. 6.

Related posts:
Show Review: Spring Awakening
Mr. History (Show Review)
Kids In the Hall at the Uptown

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

No comments: