Monday, August 2, 2010

My Conservation Project: Silver Spoons

Even with all the excitement of the KC Fringe Fest last week, I still managed to finally get started on cleaning my grandmother's spoon collection. You may remember it was given to me after my Uncle's death along with my grandma's trunk, which I recently re-painted.

The plastic container in which the spoons were given to me.

I'd been waiting to get around to this because I needed silver polish & I hadn't run across any. But when @darcybl and I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies last week, I managed to get my paws on a silver-polishing cloth.

Overpriced?

So I started scrubbing and while some spoons didn't show much of a difference afterward (cause they're not all silver), others totally transformed into gorgeous shiny things.

Left spoon is not silver. Right spoon is and needs to be cleaned.
Here it is after: Shiny!

I got quite a bit done, but there's still so many more to do!First wave completed!

All the spoons I could stand to polish in one sitting.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish the rest of the spoons with this cloth. According to the directions, I can use it until it is filthy but I don't feel like it's doing as much as it was at first. I may have to get more proactive about finding more silver polishing supplies, cause now that I started, I'm ready to be done.

The remaining dirty spoons.

I think that when I'm done cleaning the collection, I'm going to build some shadowboxes and display my favorites in them.

Related posts:
My New Conservation Project
My Conservation Project: Update 1
My Conservation Project: Update 2

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Kris the Vagabond said...

Such a cool project! I can't wait to see how they look in the shadow boxes.

May said...

Thanks, Kris! Me too :)