Monday, August 9, 2010

365 Self-Portrait Project

You might remember I posted an old self-portrait the other day on a post about self-defining women. My friend Kris the Vagabond liked it and said:

I've been thinking about doing that self-portrait project where you take a picture of yourself everyday for a year. A friend of mine did it because she wanted to really deal with her self-image and she says taking a picture every day gave her a way to be creative, express herself, and forced her to deal with what she "really" looked like and not what she thought she looked like.

What do you think? Would you want to join in on something like that?
Well! I couldn't resist an invitation like that! So of course I said YES!

We set August 1st as our start date, and I've been having fun making my daily self-portrait. Some are inspired by things I like, such as fairies or images of women from Art Deco art. Some are just born of the moment I find myself in when thinking I should get my picture for the day out of the way.

Here's a look at what I've done so far (through Sunday since I haven't done today's yet):

Nothing fancy the first day.
Just grabbed him and clicked. Inky wasn't thrilled.


Summertime is a good time for lying on the grass.

OMG! I'm a fairy!

I so wanna be an Art Deco lady.

My costume for my friends' Pretty Pony Party.
The pic data got screwed up somehow,
but my friend Mike mostly restored it. YAY!


Another summer-inspired pic. I was just HOT.

Taken at the Alcott Art Center when I was there for the
Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Awareness Art Festival.
I love old upright pianos!

Playing with my masculinity.
This would have worked better if my boobs were easier to bind.

If you'd like to follow along as I do this, you can keep an eye on my Flickr photostream.

Related posts:
Self-Definition
On the Death of Polaroids (and My Love Life)

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Bob said...

You're "the little weirdo with a big heart" AND a thousand fascinating faces! I delight in them all, but so far the "I was just hot" one is the most awesome and iconic (to me), with Ms. Art Deco a close second. All of you rock!

May said...

Thanks, Bob :) Always love your encouragement!

Byron said...

I agree with Bob completely. I liked the old one that you had linked to your name, but maybe the new one is even better. Take care.