Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Reading: Percy Jackson & The Olympians

How was your weekend?

Mine was very laid back, as I was hiding inside from the awful heat and humidity. I only went outside to sit on my porch with the kitties for a bit, walk an errand or two, and have dinner last night at Margaritas with Matt and his sister.

I spent most of my time reading the first two books in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series by Rick Riordan: The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters. The Lightning Thief is already a movie, so you might've heard of it.

The stories are very fun adventures that put me in mind of the Harry Potter series, Holes, American Gods and Anansi Boys - some of my favorite books. I like how Riordan re-imagines the Greek gods and goddesses and their half-human children. I think it's a wonderful updating. He also has a knack for storytelling that just sweeps you along, which is one of the reasons I read both of these books over the weekend! :) I just couldn't take my eyes off of them!

Happily, my friend @jacaphene is going to bring over more of the series soon, because the cute Irish novel I was reading doesn't seem so interesting now...


Have you been doing any summer reading? Got any suggestions for me?

Related posts:
How Our Fantasies Help Us
My Top Ten Authors
Harry Potter and the Best Ending EVAR

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Average Jane said...

I recently read "The Lightning Thief" and enjoyed it - probably because I was such a huge fan of Greek and Roman mythology when I was a kid. I'm looking forward to watching the movie when I get a chance and also reading some of the other books in the series.

This has not been a very good reading summer for me. I'm getting behind on my book club reading and haven't really picked up anything else.

Kris the Vagabond said...

I haven't read "The Lightening Thief" but I love "American Gods" so I might have to give that one a try. Although right now I'm about two-thirds of the way through "Anne Sexton: A Biography" by Diane Middlebrooke and after that I was going to start "The Waves" by Virginia Woolf. I've been in a depressed female writer mood lately. But when I start needing the awesome mythology fix, I have a new book to read!

May said...

OoOooo I love "The Waves"! That is a good read too.

Kris the Vagabond said...

I'm such a huge Virginia Woolf fan. When I was getting my English degree, I focused primarily on early 20th Century British literature, so I read a lot of modernist works. When people asked me what that meant, I would just say, "I read a lot of Virginia Woolf." I lost count of how many times I read "Mrs. Dalloway" somewhere in the double digits.