Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Neat Stuff I Saw This Week

I'm not normally a link dump kinda person, but I saw so many interesting things this week, I felt one was called for. So with no further ado, I give you the things that I most liked reading and/or seeing this week (in no particular order):

Local museum blogger Adrianne Russell wrote about the strange appeal of the stinky corpse floweron Cabinet of Curiosities.

Artist Will Wagenaar's Flickr set of steampunk sculpture is ADORABLE! It's like if Tik-Tok from Return to Oz had a bunch of babies.

Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the author of this, but Cyborg Ivy is an ongoing steampunk/sci fi web fiction told through a series of letters. These are also accompanied by an alternative history including timeline, as well as other essays about the universe in which this story takes place. The entire set-up and execution are really impressive.

The Rauthus posted a music video by Flying Lotus that is full of lush, fractal imagery, and some odd role playing, but I'm sharing it because of the part of it that looks directly out of Tron.

Bridges on the Body, a blog about sewing & corsets, shared images of a lovely, never-worn 1890s whalebone corset.

I started reading a web comic called Monster Commute, in which a demon and a robot are stuck in traffic FOREVER! It's a bit steampunk, but mostly just silly.

The Old Spice Guy is cracking me up with his bombastic, ridiculous speeches. Gender roles are so much fun when they are played with, and Old Spice Guy's caricature of ultimate manliness is hilarious.

@steampunk22 is showing off the amazing wooden wings he made. There's two posts with pictures, one here and the other here.

@uppoppedafox wrote an adorable account of her little girl and why she likes to wear ties. Such an awesome kid!

Ok, that's all I got. Any suggestions for me?

Related posts:
Lots of Little Things
Steampunk Magazine Cranks My Cogs

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

jen@ricochet said...

Love me some steampunk!

I need to learn how to work with metal!

adriannerussell said...

Thanks for linking to my blog and finding even more things for me to obsess over. :)

May said...

It was my pleasure :)

Vikki said...

Thanks for the link! Yeah...I'm a little late :)

May said...

You're welcome :)