Friday, July 9, 2010

Black Milk's One-Of-A-Kind Leggings

On a very rare splurge a while back, I bought a pair of galaxy leggings from self-taught Australian designer James Lillis, who calls his label Black Milk. This is how he got started:

At the beginning of 2009 I walked into a little sewing shop and bought two shiny new sewing machines. It was a slightly unusual sight - a shop full of older women making patchwork quilts for their grandkids... and me.

I didn't mind. It seemed very punk at the time.

My idea was fairly simple - I would teach myself to sew, buy some beautiful stretch fabrics, and make insane leggings. Then I would find girls who would get into them. Girls who wanted leggings that could pack a little more punch than the ones on offer at your average department store.

I made the leggings, found the girls, and so was born Black Milk.
I found Black Milk through someone who's since chosen not to stay my friend. She recommended his blog and I started reading. Girls kept sending in the awesome pictures of them in his leggings and while we were flush with cash, I decided to pamper myself with some shiny starry leggings.

Now, of course, I also want these:
(It's the cape I want, though his ruched skirt is pretty awesome)




So many gorgeous leggings! They are actually pieces of art to me, not just something to wear. Although, if you think that looking at them is fun... you should try wearing a pair!

Walking around with a galaxy wrapped around my legs is my idea of a good time! Plus, it's shiiiiiiiiiiiny!

Anyway, I started this post to tell you that a picture of me in the leggings (not the one you've seen here) was on his blog yesterday, so you should go check that out!

Related posts:
Retro Stockings from Vintage Vixen
How to Develop Your "Look"
Sex and Fashion

Like what you see? Subscribe here

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

adriannerussell said...

Those are amazing! And is that The Great Wave off Kanagawa on those leggins? *drool*

May said...

Yes it is! So excellent :)

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh wow, so COOL! I bet people have a hard time keeping their hands off while you're wearing them. :D And YAY for your fantastic photo!

Hope you and your fiance had a happy anniversary!

May said...

Thanks Bella :)