Friday, June 25, 2010

Lots of Little Things

I couldn't decide on any one topic today since I have lots of little things on my mind. So we're just going with that today!

SHOOTING OUTSIDE MY APARTMENT
If you haven't already read it on Twitter, it'll be a surprise to you to know that there was a shooting outside my apartment last night. As in RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. My friend MB and Matt and I were chillin when we heard what sounded like gunshots. MB and I heard one and Matt heard the other. A lot of times we think we hear gunshots when we hear a car backfiring, so we weren't sure if that's what it was.

We popped out heads out of the apartment building and saw a Mexican man holding his left leg and calling someone on his cell phone. There were a few other Hispanic adults around him (the apartment buildings across the corner(s) from us have a lot of Mexican families in them). Other than the guy holding his leg, we had no indication a shooting had actually happened. Then, someone ran back to him from their apartment and gave him a Mexican flag, which he proceeded to use as a tourniquet around his thigh.

Now knowing something had definitely happened, we decided to wait and make sure an ambulance showed up, in case we needed to make any calls or whatever, though it seemed the shooting victim was taking care of it. We sat on our porch and ten minutes or so later (a very long response time for our neighborhood) four or five cop cars rolled up and the cops swarmed the corner. They got a description of a "black male on a bike" (Yes, we were close enough to hear some of what was said) and several cop cars rolled back out, presumably to look for the suspect.

A few minutes after that the EMTs got there and then a bit later the ambulance showed up. I went back inside knowing that the victim would be taken care of and wondering what the heck happened. Was this something random or something pointed? There's never been a shooting this close to me in the city and I'm kind of surprised that I don't feel at all concerned for my own safety.

WOOO NATURE!
First off, Tuesday I went on a nature hike in Burr Oak Woods Conservation Area with my friend Bob.

Field full of wildflowers!
Dead tree that was hosting a mushroom convention.
See the dragonfly?

We decided this will probably be out last hike until summer's past. Even in the woods it was HOT HOT HOT!

DAMP CATS
Matt and I gave our cat babies a bath yesterday. Then Frederick and Pinky decided they wanted to damply sit on our laps. Once Matt outsted Pinky, he came and sat on me too. Then Inky was watching all that, looking jealous, so I told him there was still room for him right over my heart. The end result? Check it out:

No, kitties, look over THERE!


(Click here to see embedded video)
There's no interesting sound on this, btw.

Are they ever going to get tired of sleeping on me?!??!

So freaking hilarious. But humid and kinda gross from my side of things. Especially since the kitties stayed there so damn long.

NEW, IMPROVED ART ROOM
Like I've mentioned before, I've had issues arranging this apartment in ways that really suit me. The last time I re-arranged the second bedroom in this place that we use as art/storage room, it looked like this:
But I didn't use the room that much, finally figuring out that I really didn't have the right table for me (which is why I always ended up on the floor). So I invested in a drafting table which came in Saturday. With that, I was all ready to re-arrange the art room again, but before I did I finally decided that awful green paint (that doesn't really show up on the pics very well) just HAD to go. It made the room like a cave; it was noticeably darker than the rest of the apartment.

So I spent bits of time throughout the week painting, until Matt was nice enough to finish it off for me. Then I got rid of some stuff we'd been keeping, moved some of the other stuff into other rooms and finally made it into an art room with tiny bits of storage for other things (and, the obligatory cat items). And now it looks like this:

I still need curtains, but it's almost perfect for me now...

Check out the sexxy drafting table!
The extra chair on the right is for the cats to sit and watch me if they wanna.

This counts as mostly clean since things are stacked nicely :P
The slim black thing wrapped in plastic at the back there is my theremin!
On the right you can see my Armitage the Third action figure. Cause I love that baby-making, wing-wearing robot lady.

Stacking things makes them more awesome!

Storage that is random enough for my randomness.

Aspies LOVE penguins.

So much more shiny!!!!

KE$HA/STAR TREK MASHUP
I don't like pop unless I do, and in this case, I like this song cause it's infectious and ridiculously danceable. I love a song that makes me want to jump up and shake myself about. Add crazy Star Trek clips to it, and I'm gonna like it even better!


(Click here to see embedded video)


COOL PAST INVENTIONS
Matt found this and I thought it was kick ass! Bored Panda has a post about 18 Inventions from the Past, some of which would be handy to have right now. My favorites included the one wheel motorcycle and the radio pram.




You can see them all at the original post.

Related posts:
The Chronicles of Shoulder Cat
Dancing Away my Troubles

Like what you see? Subscribe here

1 comment:

Kris the Vagabond said...

That's crazy that there was a shooting so close! But I understand why you're not concerned for your safety - you live in the city. When I was living in Chicago, I accepted certain threats to my safety as an inherent part of living there. I was robbed three times in four years and once had a drug dealer try to force me into his car. Obviously, I made it out of all those situations alive. But whether you live in Kansas City or Chicago, you know that with a big city comes crime. And if you spend your day obsessing over that fact that someone in your neighborhood was shot, then you miss out on the joys of living in the city.

I'm glad your neighbor is okay though. Hopefully it wasn't a random shooting and they catch the guy who did it.