Friday, April 23, 2010

Leap of Faith


Yesterday was Matt's last day at Sherwin Williams (he stopped working at Ingredient a while ago when he hurt his foot), where he's been working for about 8 and a half years. He said it's been his "safety net" and that he's ready to move on to work he finds more fulfilling. So he put in his two weeks and now we're both unemployed together.

Monetarily, we'll have a nice cushion since he was invested in the company. He'll be getting stock and retirement money (and he just got his tax refund) so we aren't in any sort of money crisis. His stock/retirement funds will allow him to take a type of paid vacation before he has to start another job and he should be able to pay off some of his debt as well, which is great.

I'm really proud of him for taking this step, which wasn't easy for him. It certainly goes against what he's been advised to do. And in some ways, it doesn't really make sense for him to throw away a dependable, relatively well-paying job simply because it makes him miserable now.

On the other hand, you can't move forward until you're ready to leave something behind and Matt's super ready to move forward. We both feel almost freakishly optimistic about the future. We had a beautiful day together and I look forward to ALL THE TIME I will have with him now. I have the sneaking suspicion the entire universe is conspiring together to contribute to our joy.

Related posts:
Sleep Troubles
Missing Matt

Like what you see? Subscribe here

3 comments:

Joe Pontillo said...

This sounds VERY familiar. Although some of the circumstances were different, I left a job (and, frankly, an entire career course) that was making me unhappy almost a year ago. (May 1 will be the anniversary.) It was a little scary, but I'm happy to report that I've been fine financially, and I've been a lot happier. I completely agree about needing to leave something behind in order to move forward. That's been my experience too.

Best of luck to you both!

Jules Bowen said...

I support whatever you need to do for you. :) I hope the seeds of happy yield even more happiness to come!

May said...

Thanks :)