Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month, which I shoulda mentioned when I was giving away my ebook, but I totally spaced on it. One of the ebook recipients, Elizabeth Cunningham of Elizabeth and Mauve and a novelist, included one of my poems in a recent post, which is full of lovely poems and insights about poetry as a writing form.

Also to celebrate National Poetry Month, the local and online publication, Present Magazine, is having an open call for poems. They were kind enough to feature four of mine, which you should go check out. They are newer than the poems in my book, so you won't be reading anything old if you click through.

It's exciting to be connected with others who are poetry lovers. My friend Bob Savino, for instance, who also happens to have a blog where he posts his poetry, art and meditations. It's well worth checking out, especially since his meditations "unpack" the meanings in his poems.

Two other poetry blogs I enjoy are Blue Autumn, written by my friend Gena, and Imaginarium. They are both good worth a look (and a subscription).

Also, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is having an event called "Sensory Feast: Poetry and Visual Art" tomorrow! It's a workshop for writing poems in response to visual art, an exercise I have always enjoyed. I can't find it on their online calendar, but I know I saw it somewhere and RSVPed to it, so it's definitely happening. It may be too late to sign up since it is tomorrow at 10-Noon, but just in case it's not, you can try RSVPing to bharris AT kemperart.org.

And I suppose I should end this post with a poem, since I just keep talking about them:

Deconstruction

I've lived so long inside this miracle of ours,
I sometimes forget to be amazed
that any one person can know and love so much of me.
I spent my life building boxes within boxes
to hide myself from the world
that found me as terrifying as I, it.

In exchange for acceptance, I cut out one tiny part of myself
and presented it as the whole, a living synedoche.
Small as it was, they ate it right up but disliked the taste of me.

But you, with eyes as embracing as the skies,
you beg for more and I find there is always more to give.
I've been busy deconstructing the barriers built within
to let you ever deeper in, finding fragments so covered in cobwebs
that I'd thought them long gone.


With my new-found wholeness,
I want to envelop you completely,
blanket you with a cover of love.

©2010 R. May Evans

Related posts:
Truth, Love Blood and Bones Available Now!
Time Lines: Local Poetry Anthology
Poetry Exercise of Yester Year

Like what you see? Subscribe here

3 comments:

Jules Bowen said...

Your work is amazing.

May said...

Thank you so much

Denita said...

I love that poem! I think to an extent we all try to figure which parts to show the world and which ones are only safe within us.