Monday, April 19, 2010

3 Visions in Glass Now at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

A quick note before I jump in: There's still time to add your comments to my sociological discussion post before I respond to it. I'd love to hear more opinions. The comments that have come in so far have been great!

While I was at the Nelson-Atkins Saturday with Matt and a friend of ours, we saw a new temporary exhibit called "Venice. 3 Visions in Glass." Personally, I'd been a bit burnt out on glass art after being in Seattle where there is SO MUCH GLASS ART EVERYWHERE but this exhibit still intrigued and delighted me, partly because the glass work was so very different from the much-aped Chihuly.

The exhibit is composed of glass art from three different artists all from or working in the city of Venice, Italy, a place that has historically been associated with unique glass pieces.

YOICHI OHIRA
According to the gallery guide, Ohira is "a Japanese artist who has worked in Venice for many years... In his pieces he strives to capture or represent 'music without sound.'" His pieces included vases made out of so many pieces of different colored glass that they look like kaleidoscopes and vases that held air bubbles inside them.


LAURA DE SANTILLANA
A native of Venice who learned glass techniques from her grandfather, De Santillano's pieces were some of my (other) favorites. Using minimal forms and colors, she creates pieces that are like glowing paintings. These are so vivid and evocative that my friend and I just wanted to lick them! She also makes sculptures that resemble the many plastic bottles that wash up on Venice. While the first type of her work was my favorite, I enjoyed seeing both.


CRISTIANO BIANCHIN
Bianchin's work was the least interesting, in my opinion. His sculptures are very simple "reductive glass urns" that Matt thought looked like something you could buy at Pottery Barn (due, in part, I think, to Bianchin's use of woven stuff around his glass). Personally, I found little to inspire interest in them, except that some were topped with found objects discovered in Venetian flea markets. Those objects really made the otherwise plain urns eye-catching and intriguing in the contrast between materials. Sadly, I couldn't find any images of those to share with you.

The exhibit
runs through August 15, so you have plenty of time to see it.

Related posts:
Daughters of India: Fazal Sheikh Photography
Bloch Building Declared 2007's Top Architectural Wonder
Luminecence: My Recent Visit to the KC Sculpture Park

Like what you see? Subscribe here

1 comment:

adriannerussell said...

That is one of my favorite shows on exhibit right now. I visit it almost daily!