Monday, February 1, 2010

The Chronicles of Shoulder Cat

It's no secret that my littlest cat, Inky, is my favorite. He's just so darn cute all the time, it's impossible to resist. Of course, I had no way of knowing this when my friend @jacaphene called me up many moons ago, saying she was in Maryville with a friend who was moving at the U-Haul place. There was a stray kitten there that the woman working there was feeding cupcakes to and planning to throw back out in the cold once night fell.

Inky, the day he was found, with Jacaphene in her car

Jacaphene being the animal lover that she was wanted to help, but she didn't want to take the kitten to the local shelter since they kill unadopted animals. Instead, she called me up and begged me {seriously, I didn't want another cat and Matt DEFINITELY didn't} to adopt this cat. I was hard to persuade until the kitten decided to speak up for himself and start meowling pathetically. Of course, I melted and started convincing Matt we needed another cat since Frederick didn't like playing with Pinky anymore and Pinky was bored...

And a few hours later Jacaphene brought Inky home to us. He was so cute and cuddly and he had spent the entire ride sleeping on her shoulders. He is also the most talkative cat I've ever met! Chrips and growls and all sorts of long and short meows, this guy's got a very loud opinion on everything. Plus, he was playful to a ridiculous level, which made him lots of fun and entertaining.

He's still the most ridiculous and cute and entertaining of our cats. Everything he does, from drinking water out of the bathtub to being convinced that our dryer rack is his plaything is always so freaking cute I think my head's going to explode.

He trained us how to make him jump in arcs against a wall following the laser pointer. But we trained him to be a kitty stole. Ever since Jacaphene told us Inky rode down on her shoulders, we wanted to turn him into our shoulder cat. So we would always pick him up and lay him across our shoulders.

Sometimes he'd stay there for a while, sometimes he wouldn't. Eventually we figured out that he liked it better if we were moving, so we'd stay on the move and Inky would stay interested. When we stopped, he normally jumped down.

Since I've been home so much more these past three weeks, the cats, but especially Inky, have gotten more clingy with me. Pinky, who normally never gave me the time of day, suddenly wants to sleep on my lap all the time. Inky and Frederick, who also weren't overly cuddly cats, will now walk up to me to cuddle of their own volition. The cats would curl up with me before only when I was already asleep (with very rare exceptions).

Now they actually want to be around me when I'm awake for more than to feed and entertain them. It's nifty.

But the day I knew for sure that Inky was totally becoming my bitch is when he started staying on my shoulders when I wasn't walking around. And to prove that it really happened, I took a video of him sitting on my shoulders as I'm drawing:


[Click here for embedded video]

(I was drawing scales on a mermaid's tale in case you're wondering.)

Anyway, long story short: I'm totally in love with this cat.

4 comments:

Average Jane said...

Aww! He is so cute...and little!

Hyperblogal said...

I think he's a reincarnated stole.

Jules Bowen said...

Adorable!

Sara said...

I love happy rescue-kitty stories. :) (and he is awfully adorable)