Wednesday, January 20, 2010

May Gots No Job

On Friday, January 8th, I was asked to go to the HR guy's office where I was, very regretfully, told I was being laid off because they couldn't afford to pay me anymore. I was glad I had pre-posted entries on here through the next week because I was totally in shock and stayed that way for a while. It's only today that I really feel ready to talk about it, which is in part, I think, because of last night, which was my going away party @ McCoy's with my now ex-coworkers.

So, I'm really sad to not be working there anymore. My supervisor taught me so much and we made such a fabulous team. My coworkers were all so incredibly passionate, intelligent and tuned in to what's going on in the world, I think I'll be hard pressed to find another group so impressive. Plus, I went through a LOT with them, on emotional, spiritual and physical levles that it is a huge deal to be disconnected from all that.

On the other hand, I'm hopeful that maybe I'll find a position even more suited for me than the one I had there. I figure there's got to be a job as weird as I am out there somewhere.

Meanwhile, I'm applying to lots of jobs I really couldn't care less about if I get, just to do it. I've already gotten some people dropping the "interview" word around, which is pretty surprising. They're all evil corporations, which isn't my first choice, but I figure I should at least allow for the possibility that not working in the non-profit world might still be enjoyable for me.

And I'm also trying to enjoy not having a rigid schedule anymore. The first four days of last week I was applying to a buttload of jobs, but then stuff I was anywhere near suited for dropped off significantly and I realized I have to wait for jobs to be posted before I can apply for them... So I did nothing much at all since then. I spent most of the day yesterday painting, which felt really good.

Oh, and speaking of my art, I've had an inkling that something like being laid off was a possibility for many months now, which is one of the reasons I've started taking commissions and why I published my book when I did. Given the response to both, I'm not overwhelmingly optimistic that I could make it as a full time artist like friends and acquaintances alike seem to think.

Right now I'm just in a wait and see what happens mode.

Wish me luck.

9 comments:

JOCOeveryman said...

Oh shoot May, that stinks. I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I know you'll bounce back.

Karyn said...

Sorry to hear that. When I was laid off last Feb the only thing I had scheduled for myself was applying for 3-5 jobs a day on MWFs in order to avoid Burnout and Panic. Giving myself a limit per day really helped, and leaving the house to do it at cafes/coffeeshops made it feel less like unemployment.

Jules Bowen said...

Every single person I know is experiencing some kind of transition right now. I feel very strongly something really great is out there for you. If you are into tarot, I'd be happy to do a reading for you at no charge. See what we can see. Much love and many hugs to you.

Dan said...

So sorry to hear about this. Good luck.

May said...

Thanks, all.

Jules, I'm always up for letting ppl do readings for me :)

Jessica said...

Did you apply for unemployment? It is well worth it for the time that you may be off until a new job is available for you! If you need help finding out how, I can find anything for people! Let me know.

Jules Bowen said...

How's it going? Do you need anything?

May said...

I'm going to apply for unemployment, but my "official" lay-off date is Feb. when they stop paying me, so I'm supposed to wait and apply until around then. So no money worries just yet, happily.

Thanks to all for your concern :)

A Librarian said...

I know you will find something fabulous soon. Good luck!