Friday, November 6, 2009

Zombieland

I'm not a fan of horror movies in general. They bore the shit out of me. Zombie (and monster) movies, on the other hand, are fucking fabulous. My favorites are Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Zombie Strippers, and now Zombieland.

The first endearing thing about Zombieland is the story's hero who goes by the name Columbus, Ohio. Jesse Eisenberg who plays him is the unholy twin of Michael Cera, whom I adore. His acting, his speech patterns and even his mannerisms were so much like Cera that I kept forgetting it wasn't him the first time I saw it. Eisenberg is slightly less cherubic, however, which was good considering his character was meant to be an anti-social jerk.

The second thing I loved was that Columbus has a list of rules to live by that have kept him alive and the success of the characters often hinged on whether or not they followed those rules. I thought this was a really fun take on the unwritten rules that horror films tend to follow and it also made Columbus' survival in Zombieland more believable and his neurosis more obvious. A device this simple doing more than one thing to bolster the story impressed me.

The third best thing about Zombieland was THE BEST CAMEO EVER! I don't want to ruin it by saying anything else, but Oh.My.God I laughed so hard I started coughing.

The fourth best thing was that there were zero red shirts! The only humans were the main characters and everyone else was nothing but zombie or zombie food. I felt it gave a nice simplicity to the story AND also made it creepier that you felt these were the only non-zombies left in what used to be the U.S. of A.

The best overall was how the movie was hilarious and optimistic and a bunch of fun while still being dark and somewhat scary.

On the down side: I didn't like that the zombies were fast zombies. I'm against fast zombies on principle. Decaying flesh wouldn't operate BETTER than undecayed flesh. I mean, come on! And the zombies also liked to puke blood up which was pretty gross. Then, the final scene also had some totally would never work anywhere except in a movie aspects to it that drew away from the fairly harsh realism of the rest of the movie.


(There is a video embedded in this post.)


Related posts:
Cloverfield: Movie Review
My Top 5 Movies
Action Movies: You're Doing It Wrong
Like what you see? Subscribe here

8 comments:

Helby said...

Double Tap!
I effin loved this movie.
I agree - I'm not a fan of the fast zombies. The biology just doesn't work.

orpheus001 said...

"Fast zombies" aren't strictly zombies in the classical sense. Classic zombies by their nature require magic, and so cannot exist. Modern "zombie" movies take this into account by explaining "zombies" as victims of an incurable virus or bacteria that damages the brain and causes insanity, rage and hunger in the victims. Classical zombies are animated by "magic", but modern "fast zombies" are still living people. On a side note, that means they will eventually starve to death, which indeed does happen in modern zombie movies (i.e. 28 days later)

May said...

Eh... I don't know if I'd agree with you they need magic. Unless we're calling any unexplainable event magic. I know the virus theory and all, but I still can't believe that a body that ill, dead or alive, would have super powers.

orpheus001 said...

I did indeed mean unexplainable event when I said magic. Whether is it radiation, magic, or something else, classic zombies are animated corpses.

And fast zombies do not have super powers in any zombie move I have seen - they are no stronger or faster than any normal human who is pumped up on adrenaline, which they surely would be the way the "condition" is protrayed.

Joe Pontillo said...

This was the most fun I've had viewing a movie in a long time. I'm not sure I agree that the movie has a "harsh realism" throughout, but that's a good thing. The movie establishes its own reality, and stays pretty true to that. Until they go to the amusement park... But, yeah, very good and fun!

-Jenna- said...

I missed this in theaters but there will be no doubt that I will pick up it up on DVD when it's released. I have heard a lot of positive things.

Also, someone updated their Facebook status talking about that special cameo, so without a spoiler alert my fun was semi-ruined. Oh well -- it'll still be fun to see. :)

Seraphine said...

laffs. i came to you via sarah clark's blog and see you'be blogged about zombies!
heya!
i don't like fast zombies either. but i don't like fast things in general, either.

Blogger said...

I've just installed iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.