Friday, October 23, 2009

Gifted Hands Stops Domestic Violence Before It Starts

Attendees making stuff at Create Your Own Reality @ Gifted Hands.

My friend @darcybl puts on an event I've talked about before called Create Your Own Reality which I describe as being arts & crafts for grownups (tho kids can come too). You can also think of it as a quilting bee where you don't have to quilt. Every month CYOR is held in a different public place and this month, it was held at Gifted Hands.

This was beautifully appropriate since October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and Gifted Hands is all about empowering teen girls and training them to avoid damaging relationships. I'm so jazzed about this because it's the absolute perfect response to this problem: stopping it before it starts!

In case you are clueless about Gifted Hands, as I was, here's some info: They are located in Crown Center and the front, fund-raising part of the operation is a shop that sells local artist's paintings, prints, bookmarks, jewelry and more. It was full of gorgeous stuff that I would have wanted whether or not it was going towards a good cause. I satisfied myself with this adorable ring:

Which I love and it goes so perfectly with this ring I got at Oh Wow! Balloons! from yet another local artist:

Okay, but back to the topic at hand! Can't let the shiny things distract me!

So, the shop's in the front and in the back (where CYOR was held) they have a classroom where they educate girls age 13-19 (no other restrictions) about relationships and more. And now I quote directly from the Gifted Hands (which is a 501c3 non-profit) brochure:
Domestic violence against women may be the most understated, misunderstood health crisis plaguing our country today. According to a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control, domestic violence is the number one cause of injury to women in the United States and the number one reason women seek emergency medical treatment. There are numerous factors that contribute to this epidemic, but only one seems consistent with every victim: self-esteem.

Our belief is that one of the most important keys to alleviating domestic violence is prevention. Gifted Hands seeks to accomplish this by enhancing the self-esteem and sense of self-sufficiency in young girls in the hopes that they will never fall victim to the physical and emotional horrors of domestic abuse.
I love this approach! Nothing makes a Virgo happier than being proactive and I know if I had had self-esteem when I was younger I would have made MUCH better choices in my relationships. I'm excited to think of the lives this organization is changing! All the employees and board members who were at Create Your Own Reality were so excited about being able to help girls that it was impossible not to catch it from them. ^_^

You can find out more about Gifted Hands on their website or by dropping in at Crown Center.

Related posts:
Create Your Own Reality
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Like what you see? Subscribe here

1 comment:

Applecart T. said...

"According to a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control, domestic violence is the number one cause of injury to women in the United States and the number one reason women seek emergency medical treatment. There are numerous factors that contribute to this epidemic, but only one seems consistent with every victim: self-esteem."

are people all walking around that injured?

in my case, what sent me to the ER in august was my stupid violent cat (episodic, involved other "domesticated" animal, etc.), and when i fell on my stupid knees, hand and cell phone a couple of weeks back, i was not anywhere domestic but a stupid sidewalk.

i am not making light of this, but i only know 3 people, spanning a couple of generations, who have been physically injured from some man they were involved with. (however, my socio-economic scope is limited, and if you count rape of any kind, i can add one more; it's not something people run around and talk about, but you'd think you'd see injured women a bit more; when i was waiting 100 years at the ER, i did not witness any such patients; also not a scientific study : )

isn't it partially the man's problem with HIS self-esteem that makes him have to bully up on a weaker creature and control her predatorially by coercion, separation and force?

so, i'd like to see a companion program for boys to teach them elements of respect and decent treatment.