Friday, September 4, 2009

My New Conservation Project

My Grandma Peggy's trunk

My recently deceased uncle was the keeper of my grandma's trunk and spoon collection, which my aunt decided to give to me. It was neat since my sisters are the ones my parents always give heirloom-y stuff to, and this is the first piece of family history that's belonged to me. Plus, it needs massive conditioning, what could make a little ex-museum studies major happier?

I'm a huge fan of trunks. I already have one (below) where I keep my scrapbooks, drawings and whatnot, but this one is so much cooler!

The trunk I already had, which was also a gift.
You can't tell from the pics, but this one is significantly smaller.

And it has a tray for two layers of storage space instead of one:

The trunk is gorgeous but after living in the houses of smokers for centuries (and a construction worker's for several years), it is quite dirty and yellow and reeks of cigarettes and wet dog (my grandma owned loads of dogs). I will be trying to make it creamy again and will hopefully suffuse the thing with the sweet smell of cedar.

Matt, @jacaphene and friend help me sort through the spoons

The spoons are all extremely dirty and many are somewhat corroded. They need to be cleaned up and displayed instead of moldering in a piece of Tupperware like they have been for who knows how long.
I'm going to enjoy taking out my frustrations on these guys as much as I'm going to enjoy discovering all the awesomeness that currently lies behind the grime.

Sooo many spoons I don't know what to do!

This one's got the Buddha on it!

When these spoons are cleaned, they are going to be quite an impressive collection! There are spoons commemorating the moon landing, Apollo 13, US centennials, me and my siblings births and so much more! It's really exciting for me, because I grew up with pack rats so I developed anti-pack rat habits (there simply wasn't room for any more stuff in the house!) and the odds of my getting a sweet-ass historical, crazy and random collection such as this were so not in my favor. I'm totally overjoyed one fell into my lap!

I'll keep you up to date as I return these treasures into the lovely objects they deserve to be.

Related posts:
Life on the Road as a Traveling Exhibits Registrar [Guest Post]
Adventures in Collections Management
UX: Cultural Guerrillas in Paris

Like what you see? Subscribe here

3 comments:

Average Jane said...

Very cool! I ended up with just two antique miniature spoons from my great grandmother, but I still enjoy having them.

-Jenna- said...

How interesting!!!!

Kris the Vagabond said...

That is so neat! I can't wait to see the collection when its restored!