Monday, September 7, 2009

International Literacy Day

Buried in a book in Seattle

Tomorrow is International Literacy Day. According to UNESCO, "Some 774 million adults lack minimum literacy skills; one in five adults is still not literate and two-thirds of them are women; 72.1 million children are out-of-school and many more attend irregularly or drop out."

I don't know about you, but I can't imagine living without reading. Reading has changed my life constantly. From providing me with viewpoints about the world I'd never be exposed to in my very strict household growing up, to teaching me how to deal with the world, make money and be myself - books have done a hell of a lot in helping me through life.

It saddens and frustrates me that something I consider to be a natural state of life is completely unavailable to some people. Considering how that would limit my options in life and make so many interactions absolutely impossible just boggles my mind.

When people can read, they can educate themselves. And when people can educate themselves, odds are they'll be more happy, healthy and successful. If you'd like to be part of the fight against illiteracy locally, donate to or volunteer with Literacy Kansas City and help change someones life forever.

Related posts:
Spay, Neuter and GIVE Kansas City
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Poverty and Hunger (Blog Action Day)

Like what you see? Subscribe here

No comments: