Friday, August 7, 2009

Westport Courtyard: Now and Then

My baby found Kansas City, Missouri: An Architectural History, 1826-1990 at the library and pointed out that they had a picture of the courtyard right outside the front door of where I work from the 70's! There was no way I could keep this to myself, so I went and showed people at work, and wouldn't you know it: my boss used to be taught by the guy who wrote the freaking book! The way life is so connected continues to boggle my mind.

Enjoy this comparison, I know I do:

In '78, this courtyard area (behind current day one80 at the corner of Westport & Pennsylvania Rds.) included shop fronts, apartments and office space. Sorry about the quality on this. It's a scan of a horrid picture I tried to make easier to see in Photoshop.

Today, this courtyard area is the kitchen entrance of one80, the front of "my" office and the backside of Jerusalem Cafe (that's their circular staircase). Look how that tree grew!

Related posts:
Seen Around Midtown: Painted PBR Ads
Local Attorney Is Immortal!
Crosstown Station and some Random Local History

Like what you see? Subscribe here

4 comments:

MoxieMamaKC said...

LOVE it! I'm jealous of your office! I love the Then and Nows...very cool.

Shicho said...

That courtyard was THE happening summer spot in the mid 70s to early 80s when the bistro fronting it (to the south) was The Prospect.

Fine times, fine times indeed.

Eric said...

Very neat. Cool post.

Megan Coyle said...

That's lovely--I like the comparison images.