Monday, August 17, 2009

Plastic Jellies & Summer Memories

I recently purchased a pair of used jellies that are almost identical to my favorite shoes from childhood! Every time I look down while I'm wearing them, I'm instantly transported to the creek behind our house and the woods where I spent most of my summers.

The woods behind our street where the creek ran through are more my "home" than the house I grew up in. Escaping the home was something all my siblings did as often as possible. The easiest way to do this was to run out back and spend time in the woods. I spent most of my summers there to the point where they all kind of run together now.

I don't know if I can make you understand how deeply my life was affected by my siblings. We weren't allowed to play with other neighborhood kids or to spend much time with our approved church friends, so we were stuck with each other and we created our own microculture. In the woods, nature provided us with the comfort and acceptance we didn't find anywhere else in our lives.

We spent days and days and days under those trees and in that mud and water because it was where we could be our real selves without fearing repercussions and dream of a life where we felt free. Most of the joy that existed in my life back then was because of those woods. It's no wonder I grew up to be an environmentalist when I feel more at home in nature than among people.

It's just one big full circle: being in the woods wearing jellies leads to being an environmentalist and buying used so that I wear jellies and work to save the woods.

Related posts:
Detox Your Summer (How To)
All Hot and Bothered
Ninjas Are After Me

Like what you see? Subscribe here

2 comments:

Jack said...

It's mad isn't it? When you have new shoes it is practally impossible to stop looking at them!

Helby said...

I used to love jellies! I went through so many when I was little - they'd tear as I ran around. *sigh* I was so wasteful back then.