Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy "Women's Equality Day?"

Today is the anniversary of the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote. Which was fabulous, because before that women pretty much didn't exist as far as the government was concerned. But what strikes me as odd is that the government declared this anniversary "Women's Equality Day," which I, of course, take issue with.

If it isn't obvious why, well then I'll tell you: it's because women receiving the vote still does not make them equal to either our government or our society. We still don't get paid as much as the boys, we barely got another woman put on the Supreme Court and we sure as heck are the minority in our representative bodies.

So I'll celebrate the heck out of the 19th Amendment, but equality is something I'm still waiting to come around.

Related posts:
What Women Can and Can't Do
What Makes a Feminist?
Kansas City's REAL First Ladies

Like what you see? Subscribe here

1 comment:

Kris the Vagabond said...

I do not see "Women's Equality Day" as a celebration of equality having been achieved. I see it as a day we should think about how hard women have struggled to get where we are and how much more we still have to fight to achieve true equality.

For me, Women's Equality Day is about a higher ideal that has not yet been achieved but should always be fought for.