Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Time Lines: Local Poetry Anthology

My friend Darcy sent me a local poetry anthology, Times Lines, published as a PDF by a local guy with poems by poets in the KC metro area. These were my favorites (the first one just happens to be by Darcy herself):

An Urban Fairytale
Ever wanted to be someone else?
Now you can.
Go ahead, be all that someone else can be,
one taste is all it takes.
Some people just don’t belong in the prison of their mind.
So buy yourself another
and explore the deliberations of others.
Consume yourself in the tender delight of thought
originated by a scoundrel or a saint.
Bamboozle, swindle and squeeze your way.
Divulge their insights.
Drink it down with gusto.
Then wipe your face on your sleeve,
shake your head rapidly,
and leave your money on the table.

Darcy Lin Bloss
Kansas City, Missouri


As When a Hero
as when a hero
pounds the nose of a villain
on a runway in St. Louis
and the wings of the planes
ruffle with excitement
yes, that is how I felt when I was younger
reading about Superman and Hawkman
and, like Spider-Man, we all
put our tights on one leg at a time
I still remember my Hulk pajamas
pea green and skin tight
but nothing beat watching SuperFriends
after school
colorful characters springing
from the television to my head
I still love their stories,
day-to-day struggles, and worries
I still understand
I worry that my powers
will consume me;
what are my powers?
that’s my secret
along with my real identity
that I conceal with a mask
do not try and understand
or look for me on the ground;
my head is in the clouds
look, Brainiac is stealing the United Nations!
time for my quick change
and a smile;
I keep my elbows off the table
and my fears to myself

Scott Faubion
Kansas City, Missouri


There is ‘REDRUM’ in the streets
There is “REDRUM” in the streets
and it is not some kind of metrosexual raspberry liquor,
but it is thick and it is red and it does run like the wind.
Look out the window and it will not be seen but it is there.
It will huff and puff and shoot your house down
with a rattle and a boom and a hiss under the little red
riding hood.
Big Bad Bill uses Sweet William as an alias and an alibi,
but he will leave you full of holes that the rural neighbors
will claim “can not happen here” because
“we live in such a nice neighborhood …”
There is a monster that lives under Everyone’s porch
and it is neither conservative nor liberal;
it knows not faith. It votes only for your demise.
Will you face it? Will you turn its cheek?
Only the polls will tell, and they are well-versed in slander.
Statistics show that suicide is more popular than murder.
Numbers prove that more people choose their time of dying
than have the choice made by someone else.
This does not leave much room for comfort.
Justice is not cheap, especially for the innocent and the honest.
Upon which bench will your vote rest?
Upon what court will the ball take its decisive bounce?
Judge not, lest you have walked a mile in someone else’s
moccasins
and the blood has run between your toes
as you walked the Winner’s path
Will you empathize with Losers? Will you break bread
with sinners?
Will you celebrate with outstretched palms when the finish
line is broken?
… or calmly walk into the end zone and hand the ball to
the referee?
As for me, give me liberty, or at least a second opportunity
and do not look for treason … it will not make half-mast.
I plead the fifth and ask only for my public defender,
as my bail was paid by someone else.

Jerry Keuhn; Platte City, Missouri


Untitled
I’ve been down and I’ve been out. I’ve been less and I’ve
been more. I’ve been hurt and I’ve been healed. If you
have been none of these things then you may be alive. . .
but you are not living. No one deserves to be hurt? How is
that true. . . being hurt is a part of the human experience.
It helps us to learn and be stronger, smarter and more
capable in love and life. It gives us the ability to appreci-
ate those who are blessings, and the defenses to identify
those who are threats. Saying no one deserves to be hurt is
like saying no one deserves to love, learn and feel. If there
is a decision in your life that you have not made in fear of
hurting someone, be courageous in knowing that pain is
life, and without we could not identify joy. . . .

April Ragland
Raytown, Missouri


Returning
Driving down a Midwest highway
green shines gold at sunset;
trees holding air crisp against the sky
and I am following my heart,
rooted in Wyoming.
Why do I keep bouncing back
like a rubber band pulled
by the hand of fate?
Each shot further,
crashing harder
into my lover’s arms
before snapping back again.

Karma Vowell
Kansas City, Missouri

You can read the entire collection here.

Related posts:
Poetry Exercise of Yester Year
My Top 10 Authors
Why I Blog

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

2 comments:

Steven Ashley said...

May,

You may not have known but arguably the area's most famous poet is Eric Pankey, Amazon has 8 of his books available for sale.

I grew up with him in Raytown, in the 60's and 70's and we both graduated from Raytown South in 1977.

He currently resides on the east coast where he teaches poetry I believe at George Washington or George Mason University.

He is and always will be one of my dearest friends.

Darcy said...

Scott Faubion is the great guy that took the time to edit this collection. Big thanks to him, and thanks for the post May!