Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How I Fell In Love with Alternative Transportation

I can pinpoint the exact moment I fell in love with the idea of alternative transportation:

I was on my first adult-free road trip with my friend Sara and the guy she was dating at the time, whom she happened to meet through me. We drove all the way to New Orleans without more than stopping for snacks, pee breaks and gasoline with the Beatles' collected works providing our soundtrack.

This was back when I was an insomniac so I was riding my usual trippy buzz of freaky energy and soaking in the sights of New Orleans as we arrived in the city and made our way to the French Quarter to our hotel. I was struck by the differences between here and there: the diversity, the plethora of independently-owned stores, the vibrant street artists and musicians everywhere, and a significant number of pedestrians.

But what caught my eye next was a beautiful woman in a dress riding an antique street bike, blithely making her way through the traffic like a flower through a hurricane. And that is the moment I fell in love with alternative transportation.

I was fascinated with the calm look of joy and contentment she had on her face. Combined with my absolute love of riding bicycles, I was immediately captivated.

Not owning a car is such a natural part of life for me now, that I forget it can be surprising to people. But I've stubbornly clung to my love of alt trans ever since.

I'd like to thank this girl for changing my life, but we'll probably never cross paths again.

Life is funny like that.

See the awesome for yourself! Check out some pictures of chicks with bikes on Dorothy Surrdenders' Biker Babes post.

Related posts:
How To Live Car-Free in the Midwest
Light Rail Will Be Epic FAIL
"My Life Is More Precious than Your Car"

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

1 comment:

Kris the Vagabond said...

When I was living in Chicago, bicycles weren't just a hobby they were a way of life. In fact, there is the yearly World Naked Bike Ride through Chicago where naked bike riders take over the streets (with their naughty bits carefully painted over or covered). You should totally check it out sometime: http://chicagonakedride.org/