Monday, June 8, 2009

Sociological Images Deconstructs Our Culture

When I was going to college, I was not interested in taking philosophy since it seemed to rely so heavily on the Greeks (who were all misogynistic assholes IMO) so I opted for the sociology option. I'm really glad I did because it helped me be even more aware of our cultural subtexts and how they respond to and/or reflect the dominant culture in the US, which is controlled by and submissive to rich, white, straight men.

And it's for those exact same reasons that I love Sociological Images, a blog that uses both common and uncommon images to talk about the messages our culture sends itself. Recently, its taken on:
An oddly passive ad for a new noise-canceling headset...

The default avatars of many social media sites...
Gender-bending clothing combinations....
The odd photo cover choices of the New York Times magazine....
...and so much more! See for yourself at Sociological Images: Seeing Is Believing.


Also... Thanks to Aimee for the fabulous print she sent me for blogging about how cool she is:

I love it!

Related posts:
Weight, Honesty and Obesity in the USA
Continuum of Acceptance
Cultures Threatened as Climate Changes

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

5 comments:

Stacey K said...

I got totally sucked in and ended up spending way too much time on the site. Lots of good stuff to think about.

Joe Pontillo said...

I take issue with a lot of the things that website has to say -- but I suppose that's because I'm a white American male. I wish we had a good forum where we could discuss and dissect each individual post you linked to here. While I'd like to go into greater detail, my overall problem is this: the final post you linked to (cover photos/"foreigners are weird and scary") is dead-on accurate. The links preceding that one (with the possible exception of "dead-girl" advertising) are overly sensitive and stretch to make their points. This diminished the impact of the one's they're absolutely correct about, i.e. the fish-eater magazine cover.

Part Time Jobs Online said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
May said...

I'm interested to see what you think is being oversensitive, Joe. I tend to agree with them overall.

Eric said...

Good stuff.