Friday, May 1, 2009

Enter to Win! Inanimate Object "Writing" Contest

Recently, my boyfriend rented "A Collection of 2005 Academy Award Nominated Short Films" from the library and this video, "The Fan and the Flower" (included on the disc as a bonus) was our absolute favorite:



For those of you who can't/won't watch the 7 minute video, it's an ill-fated love story involving a ceiling fan and a flower. One of my favorite story devices is when people tell stories about inanimate objects. For instance, one of my ex's once wrote a story that was about a toaster. It was so freaking cute.

Cuteness counts big with little ole me.

Anyway, this short film inspired me to hold my very first contest! Aren't you excited?

Here's the rules:
  1. Write a short story, poem, song (or otherwise create in some other medium that effectively tells a story) that has an inanimate object as the main character.
  2. Submit to reddvenus AT gmail DOT com by midnight May 30th. So you have ALL MONTH to do put this off until the last minute!
  3. Include your name, location (generally), and any website of yours you'd want me to link to in the event of your winning.

Here's what I'll do:
  1. Choose my favorite 3 entries and post them on my blog.
  2. Think up 3 prizes that the winners will choose from in rank order (so the first prize winner gets first pick, etc.).
  3. Mail or otherwise deliver the gifts to the winners!

Clear enough? I hope so. Now get to creating!

Related posts:
My Top 5 Movies
How Our Fantasies Help Us
My Top 10 Authors

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

1 comment:

Kris the Educated Vagabond said...

This is such a great idea! I'm totally entering your contest. Can't wait to get started!