Recently, my boyfriend rented "A Collection of 2005 Academy Award Nominated Short Films" from the library and this video, "The Fan and the Flower" (included on the disc as a bonus) was our absolute favorite:
For those of you who can't/won't watch the 7 minute video, it's an ill-fated love story involving a ceiling fan and a flower. One of my favorite story devices is when people tell stories about inanimate objects. For instance, one of my ex's once wrote a story that was about a toaster. It was so freaking cute.
Cuteness counts big with little ole me.
Anyway, this short film inspired me to hold my very first contest! Aren't you excited?
Here's the rules:
- Write a short story, poem, song (or otherwise create in some other medium that effectively tells a story) that has an inanimate object as the main character.
- Submit to reddvenus AT gmail DOT com by midnight May 30th. So you have ALL MONTH to do put this off until the last minute!
- Include your name, location (generally), and any website of yours you'd want me to link to in the event of your winning.
Here's what I'll do:
- Choose my favorite 3 entries and post them on my blog.
- Think up 3 prizes that the winners will choose from in rank order (so the first prize winner gets first pick, etc.).
- Mail or otherwise deliver the gifts to the winners!
Clear enough? I hope so. Now get to creating!
My Top 5 Movies
How Our Fantasies Help Us
My Top 10 Authors
Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx