Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Top 5 Artists

1. Marc Chagall
Chagall is incredible. The way he expresses his dreams and imagination through symbolic use of figures and the language of colors always absorbs me. I could look at the stuff he makes for hours and not get bored because it always causes me to think new things and I look at the world differently afterwards. He was a Russian-born French painter and stained glass artist who lived and worked in the late 1800s/early 1900s.


2. Gustav Klimt
Klimt is pretty well known, so odds are you've seen his work somewhere. I love his use of gold leaf, his symbolism, eroticism and his absolutely gorgeous style that uses the entire canvas and is constantly re-evaluating the human form and soul. Shiny things are good! He was also a painter during the late 1800s/early 1900s (one of my favorite periods, p.s.) in Austria.

3. Hiroshi Sugimoto
I found out about this contemporary Japanese photographer when I was working at the Henry Art Gallery in Seattle. His photographs are all explorations of light and its effects. Love it so much! It is so vibrant and beautiful and peaceful and soothing. I could look at these for hours - though nothing compares to seeing them in RL.


4. Frida Kahlo

I'm gonna assume everyone has heard of Frida since they made that biopic about her a few years ago. Anyway, she lived in the first half of the 1900s and was a master at expressing her life, fears and dreams through paint. I love the boldness and brightness of her work and the underlying angst it seems to be constantly working through. The honesty her art has always causes me to discover something new about myself.

5. Hieronymus Bosch
This guy paints the craziest shit. He was a painter in the Netherlands during the 15th/16th centuries when the Catholic church was large and in charge and artists had to at least pretend to be religious. Bosch was amazing at toeing the line by seemingly expressing high religious values, but when you look closely it's just like looking at the complete insanity of the most random and disturbing of dreams. I LOVE that! It's awesome to be able to just look and look and look at a canvas and never see everything amazing about it.


One thing I noticed as I was thinking this list up is how few female artists' work I am even familiar with. I mean there's 4 out of 5 males in this list! What's up with that? So if you know of cool female artists I need to get into - let me know!

Related posts:
Climate Change Art Destroys All Humans
Tjie Tsang: Artist of the Apocalypse
My Multi-Talented Friend and her Automatic Drawings

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

No comments: