Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simple Daily Detox Tips

Carole Fogarty at Rejuvenation Lounge always has such interesting tips! I'm glad I found her somehow. These are her three daily ways to detox and they were so unique and simple I thought I'd pass them along:

1: Tongue scraping:

First thing in the morning I get up scrap my tongue at least 7 or 8 times. This removes the very unattractive coating that has gathered on my tongue over night. When this coating is not removed then all that unpleasant “gunk” gets reabsorbed back into your body.

The benefits of tongue cleaning are:

  • Remove toxins
  • Reduces bacteria on the tongue
  • Enhances your sense of taste
  • Improves your digestion
  • Gently stimulates your internal organs
A tongue cleaner should be made from copper or silver and not from processed materials such as plastic. You should also try and scrap your tongue from as far back as possible.

[Matt already had a tongue scraper so I've started doing this. You'd be surprised the goop that comes off your tongue in the morning!]

2: Spiced water detox tea:

Each morning I make a thermos of this spiced brew and sip frequently throughout my day. It’s not drunk like tea in a cup or mug, you simply take small sips whenever you think of it.

Add 1/4 tspn cummin seeds, 1/4 tspn fennel seeds, 1/4 tspn coriander seeds to 1.5 litres of hot water. After 15 minutes the detox brew will be ready.

[Tried this kinda but I only had fennel seeds so I used powdered versions of the others. It worked okay but I'm going to wait and try again until I have all the seeds. It tasted a bit odd but wasn't offensive.]

3: Sipping warm water as medicine:

I’ve actually drunk warm water for years as I simply prefer it to cold beverages. However, don’t overlook the healing benefits that sipping warm water has to offer your body. My practitioner shared with me that it has a hormone balancing effect, strips your body of ama (toxins) and improves your digestion. How magical is that. Sometimes I even add a small piece of ginger for a bit of variety (it’s allowed).

[Turns out I already do this at work just because the filtered water always comes out warm. Who knew I was getting a health benefit out of that?]

Carole has lots of unique insights, so I hope you'll subscribe!

Related posts:
Test Your Home's Toxicity
Detox Your Petcare
Detox Your Life (How To)

Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

6 comments:

emawkc said...

I've been sipping the warm water for years. I like to strain it through some ground up, roasted coffee beans for flavor.

May said...

Lol!

JOCOeveryman said...

My grandma used to always drink warm tap water. She used to say...it is a good warm drink....I used to just think she was cheap and a little crazy.

Maybe she was smarter than I thought and from the size of her estate she wasn't broke either...

emawkc.....LOL.

Stacey K said...

I have a strong gag reflex and it's hard to do the tongue scraping thing. any suggestions?

May said...

I don't know, Stacey... Maybe just scrape the front part for a while and see if you get used to it or something?

Jessica said...

I am totally gonna try this. XOXOXOXOXOXO