Thursday, October 30, 2008

Transman Diaries: Transitioning from Female to Male

I'll admit, when it comes to the GLBT spectrum the only part that I have a hard time identifying with is transgender. Transgendered persons are those who, according to the United Scientists of Ireland, "were assigned a sex, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this is a false or incomplete description of themselves." I more often hear it described as "being born in the wrong body."

For me it's hard to understand because no matter how much misogyny I faced or how much penis envy I had (now, happily sated with my collection of strap-ons) I never actually wanted to be a male. I admit, I have secretly felt my whole life that women are the coolest sex so it's especially hard to me to just generally understand transgendered women.

For these reasons, I've been absolutely fascinated with Transman Diaries, the blog of a "female transitioning to become a male." Not only the physical changes, but also the emotional changes he talks about are captivating and when I'm seeing just how right and according to his own truth he is living, being transgendered suddenly makes a lot more sense. The picture at the left was taken the first week of testosterone treatment, and here's the first blog he wrote (with a video embedded if you want to compare the voice changes too).

Now, at six months:


Obviously there are some major differences! I personally am amazed at how much more natural he seems to be in his body from the first video I saw. It's an amazing transformation and I think he's very strong to share all of this with the wacky wild world of the internets. Check it out.

Also, just wanted to say THANK YOU for the many sweet comments I received on yesterday's post. It means a lot to me.

Related posts:
Not Quite All Out (Being Bi)
Lezzies Are Feminists Too!
Hagakure on Homosexuality


Like what you see? Subscribe here or add to Mixx

No comments: