Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Last summer, I blogged about my friend Sarah Becker and her group that saves exotic (pet) birds. She had breast cancer several years ago and ended up beating it after a mastectomy took one of her breasts. Only now, the cancer is back, and it is all throughout her body, liver and bones included. This is a death sentence and her adopted daughter who just started second grade is having a hard time dealing with it. Not to mention, that since she had cancer before (apparently making it a "pre-existing condition"), her insurance won't pay for her chemo.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among US women, claiming about 40,000 lives each year, according to the National Breast Cancer Awareness website. That's why it's so important to self-check for any change in your breasts including: thickening, change in shape, dimpling, swelling or redness that doesn't go away, pain in one spot that doesn't go away, nipple discharge or itchiness, soreness or scaliness on a nipple. If you have symptoms, it's worth it to go to your doctor since early prevention counts for so much. Of course, mammogram screening is much more thorough and is the best available option for catching any problems early on. Women over 40 should have regular mammograms and every one else should at least have an annual clinical breast exam.

Please take care of yourselves for the people who love and need you - not to mention for yourself and your "girls."

Resources from National Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
Breast Cancer Q&A
Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Related posts:
Lene Alexandre Has Okay Boobs
Why I'm Never Shopping At Victoria's Secret Again

Like what you see? Subscribe here

2 comments:

MoxieMamaKC said...

Thank you for the reminder! My husband's aunt lost a 11 year battle with breast cancer in January. I'll keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers!

jennalea1987 said...

What a sad story. I know so many women who have been affected by this horrible disease. I've been thought to have it twice myself and have been tested. I'm so sorry your friend has to go through this. I'll be sending good thoughts her way for her and her daughter. I can't imagine...