Monday, October 13, 2008

FAILure and Humor

I have to say, I think the Fail Blog is one of the neatest things to come out of the whole caption a picture craze, because, seriously, what's better at helping us laugh at ourselves?


I don't know about you guys, but growing up in the 80's the culture was all about perfection and money and NEVER admitting failure. I mean, come on... you were there, you know what I'm talking about. (Unless you don't and I don't think I have any readers that young). Growing up like that made me (and most other women my age too) have such freaking issues with our bodies and everything else. It took me years to stop trying to reach perfection and instead realize that what I ACTUALLY WANTED was to just be myself.


And being yourself sometimes includes failing in your own eyes or in the eyes of other people. But the great thing about approaching life as if failure is just going to happen - like I feel the FAIL meme does quite well - is that it helps you to learn from your "failures" instead of just trying to pretend they never happened. I certainly did that for a while, which was very stupid in hindsight.

fail owned pwned pictures

Some of the biggest failures in my life have brought me amazing happiness, albiet indirectly. The biggest example of course being that my marriage failed, but now I am in the most supportive and beautiful relationship of my life because of it. And that was not an easy failure to handle, folks. My point is, I think society as a whole is moving towards being less ridiculously insane about life in general, which I think is a good thing to remember as these McCain/Palin whack jobs try to pull us back to the dark ages where torches and pitchforks seemed like great ways of dealing with perceived problems.

fail owned pwned pictures

Related posts:
In Defense of Internet Memes and Personality Quizzes
Anti-"Sex in the City" Meme
Becoming a Mysterious Woman


Like what you see? Subscribe here

5 comments:

Nuke said...

My girlfriend talks about failblog all the time, but words do NOT equate to pictures. The bukake angel cracked me up!

As to your thoughts about failing... everybody does it from time to time. As I see it you have three choices when you fail. 1. Learn from it. 2. Laugh. 3. Let it break you.

Do I need to mention I recommend 1 and/or 2?

Stacey K said...

I had never heard of it before. The pictures cracked me up. I wish I had a picture of the time we tied our bumper on with a balloon to add to the collection.

Teresita said...

Sinnerviewer has another candidate for the failblog here.

May said...

OMG, Teresita, I don't think I ever wanted to see a Pikachu vagina! Lol!

cathy said...

I am ROFL at those pictures! Nice commentary, too. We all fail at some point - sometimes in a big way - might as well learn from it.